Ulcers?

vkhill22
on 11/10/11 9:56 am - Duluth, MN
I am 5 months post-op. For a few weeks now, I've been experiencing extreme nausea and lots of heartburn. I've also been sick with flu-like symptoms so I just thought the nausea and heartburn were from that. Well I called the doctor's office to get a refill on my anti-nausea meds and now they want to check for ulcers. I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there who got ulcers so early after surgery? The nurse said because I am a diabetic, I'm more at risk for getting ulcers. Any comments would be appreciated.

hope86
on 11/10/11 10:38 am - United Kingdom
 Hello there :)

yes i currently have ulcers and im 2 months and a half post op , i feel the burning and the nausea and sometimes when i feel nausiac the vommit is accombined with blood , small amounts  , its quite common and ill tell you why

our stomachs before surgery used to produce certain amount of acid to digest the food ,enought to its large size,  and somehow after the surgery with our new stomachs , the stomach still produces the same amount ( alot for the new stomach) , thats why u get it up to the eosophagus and thats why they advice us to constantly take the anti acid treatment , with time the stomach will get used and starts to produse small amounts of acids for the new tiny stomach
i take omaprzol or nexium 40 mg per day

i hope that helped :)

vkhill22
on 11/10/11 12:08 pm - Duluth, MN
It did. Thank You!

Susan M.
on 11/10/11 10:57 pm - Howell, MI
I have, at 2 months out I had the nausea and some pain to where I had slowed way down on my fluids and ended up in the ER with dehydration so be careful on that. I was scoped and they found the ulser so now on Opmeprazole 2 x a day and liquid Carafate 4x aday but it has helped and I will be re-scoped in Feb.
Good luck I hope you get it worked out.

Age 56 Height 4' 11" 

elizlove
on 11/11/11 7:23 am - Duluth, MN
Hi SIS!!!  Hope you are feeling better!!  Have you been taking the meds??  Let me know how your Dr. appt goes.  I have come to conclusion due to this forum how my addictions are my problem with my stomach pain!!!  I have quit smoking today-yaaa!!!  REALLY hard!!  and am TRYING to have maximum two cups coffee a day, am also mixing with decaff.  I am sick of stomach pain and had surgery to get healthy and stupid me went back to smoking!!  Take care!! Love & miss you!!!! 
Most Active