First labs back.... Any thoughts?

Angela *.
on 11/10/11 3:52 am - UT
I'm 6 months out and got my first set of labs back.  Can any of you experts offer any thoughts on them?  I called my surgeon's office but of course...they told me everything "looks fine." 

I'm thinking there is also a lot of things that they do not put in a lab for.... I don't see anywhere that says Iron or FE.  Just Ferritin. 

Here's most of the things listed:

B-12  926
Folate 16.3
TSH  0.704
Vit D, 25-Hydroxy  75.3
Vit B1, (Thiamine) 171.6
Phosphorus 3.6
Thyroxine (T4) 10.5
Insulin 25.8 (says HIGH but I wasn't fasting)
Ferritin 22
PTH, Intact  57
Prealbumin 24
Sodium 141
Potassium 4.7
Chloride 104
Calcium 8.9
Protein 7.4
Albumin 4.2

Is there another name for Iron and maybe I'm just missing it?  Do some places just test Ferritin and not both?
Any thoughts?  Thanks so much.  I LOVE this board!!  :)
   *******Angela******  5'10"tall  36yrs old   SW 268 CW 180 GW 168

poet_kelly
on 11/10/11 4:04 am - OH
Your B12 is great, your vitamin D is very good, your protein is great.  You want that D to be at least 80 so you want it to come up just a little more, but it's very good now.

If they ordered iron, it would say iron or total iron.  It so happens they are missing several things though so you can ask them order iron if you want along with the other things.  If you want to ask for them, I mean.  I don't see vitamin A, zinc or copper, which you definitely need.  And I don't see B6, E, K or selenium, which you probably don't need as much as you do the others, but I would still get them done.  What I mean is, they are less likely to be a problem.  But they could be.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Pholaris
on 11/10/11 4:26 am
Great labs! I think I have lab envy LOL :)
Pregnancy%20ticker
Angela *.
on 11/10/11 4:34 am - UT
 Thank you Kelly!  I might take 50k of D3 4x a week instead of 3x, just to bump it up a little more.Is 22 a good Ferritin #?  I also didn't know if my calcium was good enough..
   *******Angela******  5'10"tall  36yrs old   SW 268 CW 180 GW 168

poet_kelly
on 11/10/11 6:26 am - OH
Most labs use a HUGE normal range for ferritin, something like 10-250.  22 is not awful but it is not real great.  You probably wanna take more iron.  Ferritin is like your iron storage, kinda like the money you have in the bank.  Your total iron, which they did not draw it seems, is like the money in your pocket.  So you want to find out what that is but it would be good to save a little more in the bank too.

the calcium level in our blood really tells us very little about our calcium intake/absorption.

See, if the calcium level in our blood drops too low, our muscles cannot contract.  The heart is a muscle and if it cannot contract, as in beat, we drop dead.  So if we don't take in enough calcium or don't absorb the calcium we take in for some reason (like if our vitamin D level is too low), our bodies produce extra parathyroid hormone, which sucks calcium out of our bones to keep that level in our blood good.  As long as you have bones and teeth to suck calcium out of, that calcium level in your blood will likely be OK. 

If it drops low, it may mean you have problems with your endocrine system or other potentially serious health problems, but it doesn't mean you aren't getting enough calcium.

For lab results that tell you about calcium, what you want to know is your D level and PTH.  If the D is below 80, that means you won't absorb calcium well, no matter how much you take. Doesn't mean you won't absorb any, you will.  But maybe not enough and you will be at increased risk for osteoporosis as well as other unpleasant things.

If the PTH is on the high side (even in the normal range, just on the high side), it suggests you are indeed leaching calcium out of your bones.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Godgaveus2
on 11/10/11 8:47 am - WI
Kelly, you seem very informed on VIts.  What questions should we ask our surgeon both before and after labs are taken?

HW 348, SW 326, CW 290, GW 150
poet_kelly
on 11/10/11 8:55 am - OH
Hmmm.... well, first I would ask what labs he is ordering, or look at the order if he's giving you a paper to take to a lab somewhere.  If anything you think you should get done is missing, ask him to order it for you.  If you don't understand what any of the tests are (usually there will be an abbreviation for many tests, like it might say CMP, CBC, PTH, and so on) ask.

After your labs have been finished, ask for a copy of the lab report for yourself.  Read it.  They are usually easy to read, you don't have to have any special medical knowledge.  If anything is outside the normal range, as him what that means and if you need to do anything about it.

Most Active