Not Sure

H0WD0Y0ULIKEMEN0
W

on 11/18/11 10:31 am - Baltimore, MD
Ok so I'm 4 weeks out...with no complaints... I'm eating soft foods and everything I had tried I can tolerate.  I'm sure at some point I will come across something I cant but here is what I'm not sure of.

According to what I learn during my six months of classes Stage 3 is weeks 6-8, regular diet, start with high protein foods at all meals.

The general guide lines are 
1. Eat 6 times/day
2. Limit total calorie intake to 1000-1200 calories
3. stop eating at first sign of fullness
4.Chew solid foods thoroughly (20-30 times)
5. Use smaller utensils to help manage bite size
6. Choose non fat dairy products
7.Do not drink fluids with meals: sip fluids between meals throughout the day
8. get 60-80 grams of protein  a day
9. drink 64-68 oz of liquid ( do not drink carbonation or alcohol)

Ok that is everything I'm doing...I stepped on my home scale and it looks like I'm in the mid 180s

Here is what I'm not sure of?

How many carbs should I have?
Should I worry about the sugars on the label?
what about sodium?
what about fiber?

I havent seen the nutritionist since 6 weeks before surgery....looks like I might have to have a couple more appointments with her.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 
Karen

Highest Weight: 235 Pre op Start Weight:222 Surgery Weight 205 Current Weight:152Goal Weight: 118
Nothing taste as good as Thin feels      

Zeigled
on 11/18/11 12:13 pm - Parkton, MD
WORRY about the carbs and sugar!!!

At 4 weeks all my food was proteins for most part....just trying to get enough in.  I didn't have any room for carbs because next in line after protein in veggies.  Carbs come in last and they turn into sugar.  Sugar in the lable ...I heard keep sugar to a minimum...no more than 10g a day and some folks can't even handle that.

Fiber is important so you keep you digestion going -

Sodium wasn't mention as an issue for me - unless you have other heart issue, it (normal sodium intake) probably isn't too much of an issue.
HW 357 SW 341   

poet_kelly
on 11/18/11 1:20 pm - OH
What you're doing all sounds like the right stuff to me.

I also stick to no more than 12 grams sugar per serving so I don't dump.

I don't count carbs, never have, but I limit the starchy stuff like bread and pasta.  I eat all the dairy, beans, fruits and veggies I want.

Less sodium is usually better than high sodium but I don't count how much I'm getting.  I just don't eat a lot of real salty stuff.

You'll have a very hard time getting enough fiber this early out.  If you want, you can use a supplement like benefiber.  I rely on beans for a lot of my protein, which gives me protein, complex carbs and fiber, which I think is one reason I didn't deal with constipation for the first couple years like so many people do (I think they only reason I have that problem now is due to one of my meds for depression).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.