older patients`

texasgirl55
on 11/20/11 6:03 am - Katy, TX

I am a month out from surgery and I did it mainly because of health issues but of course the thought of wearing smaller sizes was very appealing I'm not gonna lie to you.  It seems like everyday I have another questions for my new friends here and you are always very helpful.  Now I would like to hear from those that had the surgery after 50.  I am mid fifties and was up and down the highest was 220. Until  the time I was 40 I was  only 135 or less.  So I would like to hear if you had problems with loose, sagging skin.  I know everyone is different that is why I would like to hear from several of ya'll.  I have realized that I want to be prepared for anything that happens.  I will always be happy with my choice and don't think I will do plastic surgery but the unknown is just a little scary.  I see my chin start to sag and my mind goes in overdrive wondering how a grandma is going to look after this.  I lift hand weights swim and take exercises classes and love a good full  body massage to get blood flowing so I am not just sitting around leaving everything to chance.  I'd love to hear any or all stories.

Bucketta
on 11/20/11 6:14 am
 I am 56 and am going to have lots of loose skin, already do, my doctor says at least 30 lbs of skin, but another factor you must think of is where did we all start.  I started at 292 but my highest weight was 303, so I was a lot more stretched out than you.  

Jacqueline 
 RNY 1/24/11

texasgirl55
on 11/20/11 6:33 am - Katy, TX

Are you going to have surgery to remove it after going through the bypass I swore I would never have another surgery but if it is needed I guess I will.

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 11/20/11 8:39 am
I was 52 when I had the surgery.  My highest weight ever was 354 and I am now at 255.  So I have LOTS of loose skin.  But it does not bother me nearly as much as all the fat I had.

Will I have surgery? My insurance is pretty good with covering the panni so I will probably do that and add my arms (bat wings) which is what really bother me.  I have always had big arms.

Winnie

Carol M.
on 11/20/11 9:20 am - TX
I was 59 last Feb. when I had mine. At 5'8" my highest weight was 288. I am now at 176. I do have loose skin under my arms, around my hips and the tops of my thighs. I knew going in that this would probably be the case. I knew at the outset I would have to live with it regardless as there was not ever going to be any money for plastics. Fortunately it could be a lot worse than it is and in my clothes no one is any the wiser. Once I have stablized I may reward myself with having a little something done under my chin as it does age the face to lose the fat. But the rest I will wear as a "badge of honor" as I have reclaimed my life and health. And as a reminder of my success on this journey.
gbsinsatx
on 11/20/11 9:44 am, edited 11/20/11 9:55 am - San Antonio, TX
I have loose skin on my arms, stomach, thighs, and derriere. My breasts sag. I never planned on having plastic surgery done due to the pain, scarring, and cost. I look great in clothes and that is what counts for me. I am 57 and at this age I would need to start from my toes and pull up all the way to the top of my head then tie a knot...LOL
*Please see my profile page for my before/after pictures.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

texasgirl55
on 11/20/11 9:59 am - Katy, TX
I like the way everyone is not overly concerned with loose skin.  It helps me to listen to others who have gone through this and see how they are dealing with it.  I know I am going to have some sagging but I think the only place that will bother me is under my chin.  I'll see how things go when I have lost all my weight and see how I look and feel.  No matter what I will not regret doing this.  I now look at how my older son and husband eat and I want to tell them how bad all that sugar and fries are.  Even going into restaurants sometimes its hard to find a grilled piece of food that doesn't have gravy or sauce cooked into it.  Thanks guys for sharing I love hearing everyones stories.
Ruby R.
on 11/20/11 11:03 am
I had RNY at age 60.  I am 66 now.  I had a tummy tuck, a breast lift and my arms done.  I probably would not have had the arms done except that I was having a revision to my BL and since I was asleep, I had my arms done.  I am glad I had all the work done.  Having a flat tummy is wonderful.  My breast not hanging down is great, too.  Not saying my arms are great, but they are better.  For me it has been a good investment.

I can not bring myself to have a face lift.  I think I look older that I am--definitely older that I feel.  I will probably try botox one of these days for the marks between my eyes.  Also might consider some filler to help the lines around my mouth.  Right now I am dealing with a leaking bladder and recovering from an unsuccessful surgery to fix it. 

To tell the truth, I think about ending up in a nursing home and having no one to be sure I get my vitamins and proteins is a concern for me.  Because of the calcium and iron I take, constipation is a real problem--another problem for the nursing home.  I have never been sorry I had wls.  I am sorry I let my weight get so out of control that surgery was the answer for me.

Sorry did not mean to be so lengthy.

Ruby
RNY  3/11/2005
262/125/135
hi/lo/today
5'1"
age 66           
texasgirl55
on 11/21/11 9:12 am - Katy, TX
Not too lengthy at all.  This is what I wanted to hear everyone's experiences good and bad.  I too have wondered how this will all work out years from now but right now I will live one day at a time and enjoy my grandkids.  Not sure if I will get any further surgery for loose skin will have to see when I have lost all my weight.  Thanks for sharing.
missjann
on 11/20/11 4:04 pm
I had surgery at 57.5 and weighed 245....now at 160. I have a small panni
(but I also had 5 kids) and batwings but skin elsewhere is not bad. I
don't have a lot of loose, hanging skin elsewhere.  My family and friends
tell me I look at least 10 years younger, I have very few face wrinkles,
and I'm told I look fabulous in my younger, hip clothes. My youngest
daughter's boyfriend refers to me as mama cougar (which as she
had to explain to me means I'm an "older" hottie).  I think the really
important thing is that I feel amazing, I love seeing the new me, and
honestly, at my age since I wasn't planning to wear a bikini any time
soon, I could care less about how I look naked or in underwear.
That's not how the majority of the world sees me. I think happiness
and inner joy are the most beautiful things I could wear, and they
don't show wrinkles.
    Jan