Cold/Sinus Infection Medication

Bama_Wifey
on 11/21/11 2:46 am - AL
I am battling what I think is a sinus infection.  I have a lot of sinus drainage and I am coughing due to the drainage.  (Stuffy nose, head congestion, etc.)  I usually go to the dr and they give me an antibiotic, and 2 shots.  Are these shots still ok to have after gastric bypass?  I have researched the OTC cold and sinus meds to make sure none of them contain asprin/naproxen, etc.  I ended up getting a generic benadryl allergy/sinus, and a mucinex cold and sinus liquid.  The only problem with the mucinex is that as soon as I swallow it, I can feel a warming sensation inside my chest - which concerns me somewhat.  I dont want to do something that is going to hurt my pouch but I need to get to feeling better.  Any advice would be very helpful!  Thank you all in advance!
HW: 337  -  Beginning 6 mo pre-op diet: 319 - Consult: 251  -  SW:238     CW: 154    -  GW: 160  (LOST 81 lbs during 6 mo pre-op diet)
SURGERY DATE: 10/10/2011    
Ramie A.
on 11/21/11 3:13 am - Bronx, New York, NY

Do you have any idea what the shots are for, or what they are called?

You are right to avoid the cold medicines with aspirin (Bayer), naproxen (Aleve) and ibuprofin (Advil). 

So your main symptom is drainage?  (I am certainly not a doctor, so be sure to ask him/her or the pharmacist what they recommend. )  To dry you up, get a medicine that contains pseudoephidrine, for example Sudafed or generic for Sudafed.  These are only available behind the pharmacy counter, but no prescription required.  Don't get the ones from the drug store shelves, as they are much less powerful.

Benadryl is an antihistamine and isn't needed for a sinus infection and will not help with sinus drainage unless it's caused by allergies. 

Take acetaminophen (Tylenol) for pain or a headache.  Never take more than what the bottle instructions say (for example, take 2 tabs every 4-6 hours).

I never buy combination cold medicines (cough AND cold AND runny nose etc) because it's my opinion that you should treat your symptoms separately.  And you'll always know exactly what you're taking instead of whatever mysterious stuff is in those combo medicines.

Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

Trish S.
on 11/21/11 8:19 am - Upstate , NY
I use Nasopure nasal wash every day..... It has been a Godsend..... If you can't find it, you could use a NetiPot.......I never thought I would use one, but after several sinus infections....I tried it and use it every day now.  No more sinus infections!!!  And it's just saline water!  Good luck to you, sinus infections suck.
--Trish
“I think everyone should be told they’re beautiful until they believe it.?