pre-op WBC high

140angel
on 11/19/11 11:59 pm
Hello everyone!

Quick question about pre-op blood work.

My WBC count was elevated......11.4.  My doctor contacted me and had me re-take the CBC and WBC was a little higher at 11.8.  I was asked to see my PCP regarding elevated WBC.  I went to the doctor and he said even though out of range still good. He thinks that stress caused mine to elevate.   He gave me antibotics and sent me on my way.  I did have a sore throat....doc said no infection though. 

I am worried and scared that when I retake blood test my WBC will still be high and I will not be able to have surgery.  Yes, nurse told me that if WBC is not lowered the surgery will have to be rescheduled.

Has this happened to anyone? What can I do?  My surgery is December 6th!!!  If anyone has any input on this I would love to hear from you.

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 4:10 am
 Hello there,

I am in the same boat as you. My pcp has not cleared me because of this and because of it i recently was reffered to a hematologist. He did some bloodwork and then cleared me for surgery and stated that it shouldn't be a problem as he has checked for everything else. Now i have to go back to my pcp with the clearance letter. Hope this doesnt delay your surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics