Need a non chewable Iron Supplement

RainDiva
on 11/22/11 12:46 am
Has anyone every tried Ferro-Sequels. they say they are time released so i am confused because surg office said I can take these but I thought we can't take time release?

steve D.
on 11/22/11 12:49 am - West Fargo, ND
I don't know about those, but I take an iron supplement called Feosol.  It is a Carbonyl iron and works well.  Make sure you get the one that says carbonyl iron though.

Good Luck
Steve

poet_kelly
on 11/22/11 1:02 am - OH
I use Sundown Perfect iron.  You can also do Feosol, but get the carbonyl one, not the ferrous sulfate.  You can do time released if you want, it won't hurt you, just know you won't absorb it all.  Personally, I'd go with one of the others, and a carbonyl one, so you don't get constipated.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

RainDiva
on 11/22/11 1:24 am
Kelly,
Can you provide a list of the vits that you take with dose and name. I want to start a reg multi if i can tolerate it I am so so tired of chewable I can't find one that I like

poet_kelly
on 11/22/11 1:42 am - OH
I can.  Just understand that it's not that these are the very best vitamins, they are just one of many, many good options.

Multivitamin - I currently use the  Meijer store brand, equivalent to Centrum, two a day

Calcium - Upcal D, Calcet creamy bites and/pr Bariatric Advantage chews - total of 1500 mg a day in three 500 mg doses

B12 - injections, 1000 mcg once a week

Iron - sundown perfect iron, 75 mg a day

Vitamin C - store brand, whatever is cheap, currently taking 500 mg Walgreens brand

D3 - Tender D3 from vitalady, 50,000 IU three to four times a week

A - Tender A from vitalady, 25,000 IU three times a week

zinc - vitalady, 50 mg twice a week

Magnesium oxide - vitalady, 500 mg a day

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

RainDiva
on 11/22/11 2:01 am
Thank you for the list I appreciate it. my other concern is my surg hasnt said anything about labs and when he will do them. the pa said that if i do have a defic it wont show up for over a year not sure how true that is. I am second guessing everything i am doing right now.

poet_kelly
on 11/22/11 2:12 am - OH
Most docs do labs every three months the first year, then once or twice a year for life.  I plan to do mine every six months forever.

What the PA said does not make sense.  If you have a deficiency, it will show up as soon as you have it.  If your iron, for instance, drops below normal today, it will show up if you have labs done today.  Why would you have an iron deficiency but your labs not show it for a whole year?

Maybe your PA meant it would take a year to develop any deficiencies but that is not correct either. For one thing, you may have had some deficiencies before you had surgery.  Did you get your vitamin D checked pre op?  Even if all your labs were great before surgery, your D, your iron, your B12, and some other things can drop very quickly.  It sure doesn't take a whole year.

RainDiva
on 11/22/11 2:17 am
that is what I thought too. she did mean it would take a year to dev. but still i had great labs before surgery but always had a def of vit d and vit b12. I do get a shot each month for vit b12. but I will diffently keep up on labs even if pc has to order then just for me to know where I am. I would rather catch something early and prevent. I ordered the sundown perfect iron off of iherb.com. it was 4.95 for a bottle of 200 with the 5.00 off it was free so i only paid for shipping 1.85 cant beat that just to give them a try

poet_kelly
on 11/22/11 2:18 am - OH
I'm going there now to check it out.  It's about time for me to order more iron anyway.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 145 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views