2 days post-op and BURPING?! ouch! Caution this post may be TMI for sensitive readers.

Amber B.
on 11/24/11 12:02 am
Anytime I sip something...water or liquid lortab (hallelujah) I have to burp. Sometimes the air will come out and holy hurt if it is trapped. After the surgery I had a very wharf time with trapped gas in my stomach. It was very uncomfortable to lie in any position. My sweet surgeon came in and told me it was also probably the drain and that it would be removed before I went home. I couldn't have been more relieved when the nurse pulled it out of my side and it was a lot better but in no way did it get rid of the gas pain. I begged him for a suppository or something to make me go to the bathroom bc I knew if I could just get rid of the gas and poop then I would feel a million times better. (when I was on my liquid diet I only went to the bathroom (bm) twice and tried to go before surgery and couldn't) I tell you what! At about 3AM I went to the bathroom and it sounded like nothing less than a dying rocket and wah-lah!! I feel like a brand new person! I swear I could've floated away with all of the trapped air. So far that has been my only complication. Now I I could just stop burping until my pouching a little more healed! Oh and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Carol S.
on 11/24/11 1:27 am - Milwaukee, WI
 Walk.  It gets stuff moving.

They did my surgery open and I was full of gas.  I walked round and round that nurses station.  My water bottle and I...
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

littleskie
on 11/24/11 2:09 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I'm over two years out and still have an issue with burping and gas. When I eat carbs tho it gets so much worse. I just consider it a side effect of the surgery and put up with it. Good thing I sleep alone tho..lol

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Linda A.
on 11/24/11 2:31 am - WA
Amber, I battled with horrible gas my first week after surgery. It started in the hospital, and they gave me anti-nausea medicine, and it seemed to help a bit. The best thing I found to help get rid of the gas and work the burping up was to walk around rubbing/patting my pouch area. Works every time for me. I will let loose these straight trucker burps. I feel so much better. Every now and again I still get the burps pretty bad, and they laugh at me at work as I pace around rubbing my belly, but it works.

My suggestion, try to drink slower and smaller sips. Really focus on trying to swallow JUST the liquid. I often even hold my breath as I swallow. Sounds weird, but it works for me.

The burps don't bother me as much anymore as the gas coming out the other end. Me and that gas have battles over who rules the roost. Right now... they are winning.

PS. The gas never goes away from what I have learned from my family that are over 6 years out. But you learn to manage and handle it.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 295 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 288 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views