Long-term RNY people, PLEASE share would you do it again?!!!!!!!

mimijo
on 11/24/11 9:52 pm
Would love to hear from all long-term RNY people!!  Surgery just over two weeks away and sooooo many questions.  Would you do it again?  Has it been worth it?  what have been worst side effects?  What have been your health issues after to deal with?  How bad is malabsorption?  Any horrible smeilling gas/bowel problems?  I know this sounds crazy but really have so many things going throught my mind!  Thanks for your help!
Carol S.
on 11/24/11 9:56 pm - Milwaukee, WI
 Would you do it again?    Yes

Has it been worth it?  Yes

what have been worst side effects?  Psych not physical

What have been your health issues after to deal with?  Psych mostly

How bad is malabsorption?  Not horrible

Any horrible smeilling gas/bowel problems?  My husband who has not had RNY has worse problems with that stuff than I do.  He's physically fit, mostly (he has chronic back issues) and good grief he stinks.  LOL
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

mimijo
on 11/25/11 12:11 am
Thanks to all who are helping with their answers!  Many people are saying Psych issues and it seems to be a recurring theme.  I am not sure what you mean?  Is it not being able to eat the foods you used to or the amounts?  Is there depression due to this surgery?  What are some of the psych issues you all face?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/25/11 2:33 am - OH
Some people DO get depressed after surgery, as a result of the surgery itself and/or adjusting to the new eating habits (or NOT eating for a number of weeks for some), but the bigger psychological issues are the same ones that contributed to your obesity in the first place.  As a licensed professional counselor, I can tell you that only rarely is someone obese without some type of psychological /emotional issues contributing to it.  Whatever your eating demons (eating for comfort, eating in response to abuse/trauma/stress, eating out of loneliness or boredom, etc.)... the surgery does NOT magically fix those... they often subside for a bit during the first few months post-op, but they are still there waiting to rear their ugly head(s)...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cajungirl
on 11/24/11 9:57 pm
 Would you do it again?  YES

Has it been worth it?  Absolutely

What have been worst side effects?  I haven't had any bad effects

What have been your health issues after to deal with?  I did have to have iron infusions this year, nothing to it and I felt so much better after.

How bad is malabsorption?  It's temporary on food intake so optimize your first 2 years.  Vitamin wise is forever, it is imperative that you take your supplements, have your labs done frequently and get copies of your labs so you can see what's happening.  The medical community doesn't seem to worry about deficiencies until you are there, instead being proactive and watching the trends YOU can change your supplements to sometimes prevent deficiencies.

Any horrible smelling gas/bowel problems?  I don't have gas often, higher carbs does cause some for me.  Bowel problems I have more problems with constipation then loose stools.  I do take magnesium to help with the constipation and it works for me.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Dave Chambers
on 11/24/11 10:16 pm - Mira Loma, CA
YES, I wish I could have done it 10 years ago or longer.  Each patient is not exactly the same. Most initially have some "buyer's remorse", as the first couple of months are difficult for some. You have to get used to drinking enough water, "head issues" with eating small amounts of food, getting all your vitamins, finding a protein shake you can tolerate, gas issues, smelly poop, etc.  Ozium spray helps with foul gas odors, or your can try Devrom pills.  Dumping may or may not affect you, but I'd highly caution you on trying sugars intentionally to see if you dump.  The only issue I had was low bp.  I'd always had a low pulse rate, but my lower bp was somewhat erratic.  Only a smaller percentage of post ops have this issue. I ended up with a pacemaker around a year post op to resolve my issue, as the cardio doctor said I needed it from the testing performed.  Malabsorbtion is part of the surgery. Go to some support meetings before surgery and speak with other post ops, or just listen to their expereinces.  Dumping is not pleasant, so don't try higher sugar items to "test the waters". DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

rayjack12
on 11/24/11 10:25 pm
I agree with Dave.  I wish had had it done sooner.  I'm only a year out so I don't know if you would call me "long term" but...

I was out of work for two weeks, was still tired when I went back, it took me about a month to feel like myself.

Side effects..1..the hair thing was pretty bad, but I've learned to compinsate and it is growing back.  Let me just say my hair was fine and thin to begin with...so, I was very distraught when it got worse.  2.  Sometimes...I wish I could just EAT!!  But...not a reality so...I move on.

I haven't had any health issues.  I guess I can get tired more easily if I don't take vitamins and eat the right things, etc.  Also, I recently got a cold/cough and it is taking me FOREVER to get over it.  Not anything horrible though.

Malabsorption, well...I guess I answered that with the hair thing.

Horrible gastic issues?  Not any worse than before! :D  I mean, you just have to learn what you can tolerate and what you can't.  I can tolerate pretty much anything.  I can't EAT just about anything as some things don't go down well/get stuck. But the things that go down (even sugar and fatty stuff) don't bother me.
poet_kelly
on 11/24/11 10:26 pm - OH
Yes, I would absolutely do it again.  It has been worth it.

Worst side effect and health issue would be reactive hypoglycemia for me.  The need to avoid NSAIDS has also proved problematic for me.

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask how bad malabsorption is.  I have to take a lot of vitamins and get blood tests done every six months.  Then I adjust my vitamins accordingly and it's no big deal.  I would be very sick if I didn't get labs done and take all these vitamins, though.

My gas smells the same as it ever did.  I developed constipation a few months ago but I believe it is due to a new med I am taking for depression.  I don't think it has anything to do with my RNY since I was pooping with ease for two and a half years after surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

seashell6417
on 11/24/11 11:40 pm - Gaylord, MN
Would you do it again?  In a heartbeat!

Has it been worth it?  Absolutely.

What have been worst side effects?  Dumping is a double edge sword.  It keeps me in check MOST of the time but when I choose to eat too much sugar I pay for it.  In the end I would not change the fact that I do dump, though.

What have been your health issues after to deal with?  Cancer but it was not related to the RNY.  Also, I believe the cancer would not have been detected as quickly as it was had I not lost a ton of weight.

How bad is malabsorption?  Malabsorption is not completely bad.  While we do malabsorb some nutrients we also malabsorbed calories early out, allowing for rapid weight loss.  I do take vitamins several times throughout the day to remain healthy but it is a small price to pay for my overall health.

Any horrible smeilling gas/bowel problems?  The smell is different (worse) but it is not unmanagable.  I do have more gas but I am also eating more of the foods that cause gas.  I have not had any long term or ongoing problems w/ diarrhea or constipation.
Tami

seattledeb
on 11/24/11 11:54 pm
 Yes..or I would be dead.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 330 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 194 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?