lab work

mamawof5
on 11/25/11 8:48 pm - IN
  Ok, at my last appoinment with my surgeon, he informed me that he does not order labs. He said he leaves that up to my PCP. That is fine, but I'm from an extremely small town and am afraid that she will not know what to order. Can someone tell me what to ask for when I see her? I don't want to wait too long in case I need to increase something. Thanks in advance 
TamaraL
on 11/25/11 10:28 pm
Call your surgeons office and they sould be able to tell you what needs to be ordered.

I order a

CBC with auto diff
iron, ferretin
vitamin D
vitamin B

Some people recommend vitamin A

I am mostly worried about my iron level and ferretin and D

Tamara

poet_kelly
on 11/25/11 11:49 pm - OH
That's all?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

debgore
on 11/25/11 11:31 pm
Hello,

My PCP every 6 weeks orders the following test:
CBC
Basic Met Panel
Potassium
Chloride
CO2
Calcium'SGPT
Lipid Panel
UA-MS
U Epi
U Bac

Covers my entire body and tells him whats going on.  Hope this helps.

Take Care,
Deb
poet_kelly
on 11/25/11 11:50 pm - OH
You will need a lot more after surgery to monitor for nutritional deficiencies.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 11/25/11 11:48 pm - OH
No, she won't know what to order.  Even if you were in a big town.

Here's what I get done:

CMP
Lipid Profile
CBC with differential
B12
Bili-direct
Ferritin

Iron/TIBC

PTH
Magnesium
Folate
Thiamine (B1)

B6

Vitamin E

Vitamin K
Uric Acid
Vitamin A

Vitamin D (25 hydroxy)

Zinc
Phosphorus
Copper

Selenium

Prealbumin

Kady
on 11/26/11 4:46 am - Lancaster County, PA
Go with Kelly's list, it is the most comprehensive.  My surgeon orders all the labs on that list as well. 

I hope your results turn out great!

Most Active
Recent Topics