I just have to share this about soda

jamiemariep
on 11/30/11 2:30 am
I know everyone gets told different things about diet/liquids and expectations from their respective surgeons, but this takes the cake. My surgeon's office says no soda forever. So, yesterday I'm in my hospital room and the surgeon was rounding and was across the hall and I overheard him ask her how the liquids were going, she responded that they were ok, and then he said "please tell me that that isn't your soda" SHE DRANK SODA 1 day post op! She responded "No,well, yes but I only had a few sips." The surgeon just walked out without saying anything and came to my room. I was shocked. The thought of putting anything other than clear liquids into my pouch yesterday made me physically feel ill.

So, what's the verdict on soda. Yay or nay? I know that I will never drink it again, and I'm ok with that.

Tiara Classic 5k 5/13/12: 37:19
Marion Village 5k 6/23/12 32:55
Rochester Road Race 5k 8/11 29:58
Acushnet Road Race 4 mile 9/3 41:07
Spooky Spooner 5k 10/28 PR 28:05

KimminyK
on 11/30/11 2:41 am - Hannon, Canada
OMG!
I haven't had even a sip and I'm almost 6 months post op.
I was told not to have soda, so I will NEVER have soda; and I'm okay with that.
With the success I've had, it's more than a good trade off!
I can't even imagine having pop right after surgery.......
MeganGish
on 11/30/11 2:51 am - Ashland, KY
 No soda ever again here either due to the risk for ulcers i was told 
paranoidmother21
on 11/30/11 2:55 am - Lake Zurich, IL
I was never a big soda drinker pre-op, so about 6 months out I took a sip of DD's soda just to see if it tasted good.

It tasted salty.

I seriously don't miss it.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Alicia T.
on 11/30/11 2:56 am
RNY on 01/25/12
I was told no carbonated beverages ever again because it will stretch out your pouch. I'm OK w/ that as I'm not a big soda person. Do get a random craving for one every now and then, but I generally do not buy it or keep it in my house unless we're having a party or something.

I feel really sorry for that person. If she can't even make the change a day after surgery, then what hope does she have for long term success. Very sad to go through such a drastic surgery only to not make the necessary lifestyle changes.
poet_kelly
on 11/30/11 2:59 am - OH
It won't stretch your pouch, though.  Liquids can't stretch the pouch.  They go right through.  I wish some docs and nutritionists would stop lying to patients about this.  It really makes me angry.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 11/30/11 2:58 am - OH
It gives some people painful gas, but otherwise there is nothing wrong with it in moderation.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wendydettmer
on 11/30/11 3:05 am - Rochester, NY
My doc says none again. Not because it will stretch but she said there is some evidence to show that over time it may degrade the pouch due to the carbonation. I'm a huge soda drinker and I will miss that, but know that I'm better off without it

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

poet_kelly
on 11/30/11 3:10 am - OH
But soda doesn't stay in the pouch.  The carbonation will "degrade" the pouch just by passing through it?  Can you ask your doc where you can find those studies?  I'd love to find out more about that.  And what does "degrade" mean, exactly?  Like make holes in it, like ulcers or something?

Shellbatronic
on 11/30/11 3:30 am - NC
I feel your frustration, it drives me nuts that doctors and nutritionists spread what amounts to an "urban legend". I asked my nutritionist about it and she said maybe they do that thinking it's a way to scare people into doing what they "need" to, but I find that whole attitude really condescending. Thankfully my doctors are honest with me, but it still drives me crazy.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 311 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 229 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 42 views
Recent Topics