got my consent forms for surgery doing a little freaking out!

mimijo
on 11/30/11 10:03 am
So I got my consent forms for surgery one week from today.  Wow, so much to take in!  Says 1 in every 200-300 people die from the surgery!  Is it normal to second guess this?  Do I just have last minute nerves?  I have fought for surgery for 6 months! 

Wow so much running through my head!  What about you all?
CarolinaJerseyGirl
on 11/30/11 11:19 am
When you have any kind of surgery requiring general anesthesia you always run the risk of complications and the worse one is death. Something can always go wrong and it is normal to have the last minute jitters. If you did your homework about the surgery and your surgeon, and you've made it this far in the process, then take a deep breath and trust that you've made the right decision.
Sandy  

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/11 11:21 am
I think freaking out is quite normal... if I think about it .. i mean really start thinking about being put to sleep and worrying that I might never wake up... i royally freak out...

Of course, i was the person on the phone to my mother during labor of my first child crying that I changed my mind and didn't want to have that baby since it hurt soo bad... lol... (I thought I was going to have a full on panick attack right then)...

I started freaking out a bit right before my hysterectomy and the nurse gave me Versed... and it helped.... I think.. although tis a blur haha.. ...

But, I am freaking out a little and I don't even have my date yet...
LivinTheDream
on 11/30/11 12:33 pm
I was freaking out inside for a few weeks before my surgery.  The morning of surgery, I tried to stay calm, cool, and collected as I knew that if I were stressed out, it would be worse on me.  I had done lots of reading and talking and thinking and I knew it was the right choice for me (most of the time).  I just kept reminding myself that soon, I'd be able to do things that I haven't done in 15 years or more...and I'm only 26. 

I was so worried that something would happen that I went to an attourney and drafted a healthcare power of attourney and living will so that I knew who was going to make decisions for me should I be incapacitated.  Thankfully, it was not needed. 

Take a deep breath and try to relax.  The more relaxed you are before and after surgery, the better off you will be.  Good luck! 
HW: 360  SW: 333

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 361 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 116 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?