Diabetes dwindling!

K_Behr
on 12/2/11 3:25 am
I'll be 4 weeks out on Monday and the morning I went for surgery I had blood sugars running around 350..a week before that they were in the 400's. Since surgery they have been steadily going down, but now that I'm on "regular food" I'm finding it hard to keep them up. Infact yesterday I had issues with low blood sugar. I've been off my insulin for about 4 days..now what do I do to keep it up?
BWB
on 12/2/11 3:45 am, edited 12/2/11 3:46 am
 Not that I am an expert on diabetes, however, I've had it for 20 years or so.  I was not good at controlling it before starting the pre-op diet but the no carb diet brought it down to a perfect level.  When My glucose numbers dropped I could drink a glass of milk  or eat a small fruit.  I didn't go overboard with a candy or sweet roll.  Now after surgery ( 3 months)  I keep a close check on it and adjust my insulin accordingly.  Personally I'm surprised that your surgeon would do the surgery with your glucose that high.  I had to get my A1c number to 6.5or no higher than 7.  The doctor should have a nutritionist on staff that can help you.  Check with their office is my advice.

K_Behr
on 12/2/11 3:49 am
Thanks. The nutritionist should be calling next week..I'll check with her on that. I've been working closing with my family doc and it had just recent gotten out of control. They gave me insulin and controlled it that way when I went in and have been on it since surgery. Juice normally brings it up, but am I always going to have this problem now because of my diet? Frustrating!
BWB
on 12/2/11 4:48 am
 What do you mean by "regular food"?  Week 4 through 7 should be "soft food".  

As a diabetic, I will always consider myself a diabetic and it is a little misleading when people say that they have been cured by the surgery.  Juice is off my diet forever....if I want to maintain a decent control, that is.  If you get thirsty for a sweet drink, try no-sugar Crystal light or Liptons lemon decaf instant tea.  Both of those choices are really good and I have elimiminated carbonated drinks.  

I'm glad you will be seeing a nutritionist.  

macjuicy
on 12/2/11 4:32 am - FL
 had type 2 Diabetes myself and Im now 5 months out... def meet with a nutritionist they can help you big time, i actually keep popcicles in freezer for low Blood sugar

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

K_Behr
on 12/2/11 5:16 am
Ok, thanks! I used apple juce yesterday and am using popsicles today. I just can't seem to keep it up.

When I say "regular food", I mean regular food. I can eat whatever I'd like..just gotta chew, chew, chew!
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 456 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 525 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 509 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 396 views
Recent Topics