Roux-en-Y patients do you wish you were sleeved?

VegasLAbound
on 12/3/11 2:46 am - Cleveland, OH
Just a question for some of the post-ops. I know every surgeon makes recommendations for the type of surgery and that most bariatric surgeons are comfortable with the Roux-en-Y but with the new information and the rate of success is anyone second guessing their decision?

seashell6417
on 12/3/11 2:51 am - Gaylord, MN
Nope, not for a minute.  I originally thought I wanted the sleeve but ended up w/ RNY as my insurance did not cover the sleeve at that time.  Now that I am nearing three years into my new life I am extemely happy with my decision.  I do take what seems like a ton of vitamines throughout the day and NSAIDS are a huge no-no but I do not regret my decision at all.  If I had it to do over knowing what I know now I would change a thing.
Tami

Samantha L.
on 12/3/11 2:56 am - Petaluma, CA
 Well, I am only 17 months out, so I am not sure that I have had enough experience to really have suffered any downsides yet, but I LOVE my RNY.  I have had no issues at all (other than a lack of appetite).  I lost 155 lbs and have held at a size 4 for the last 6 months or so.  My weight fluctuates between 142 and 147.. if it gets over 147, I just cut out some carbs and it drops right back down.   I am sure I still have some malabsorption going on, though.. so, we'll see what happens when that's gone.  

I don't regret my surgery at all, but had I been given the option, I MAY have gone with the DS.  

Mandee K.
on 12/3/11 3:05 am - St George, UT
Not one bit I really researched before I chose my procedure.  I chose the RNY for the fact I need the dumping syndrome because lets face it I dieted my entire life and always found a way to cheat.  Dumping helps me think twice before eating something I shouldn't :)

poet_kelly
on 12/3/11 3:40 am - OH
I'm guessing you are one of the 30% that do dump, then?  But how did you  know you'd dump, in order for that to be the reason you chose RNY?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 12/3/11 3:39 am - OH
I would probably have done VSG if my insurance would have paid for it, but I am happy with my RNY.  Just recently I've seen several sleeve patients posting on the RNY board, planning for revisions and I am now wondering if the failure rate for VSG is going to end up higher than with RNY - I don't think we have the data yet to know that for sure.  I'd love to be able to have NSAIDS, though.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MsBatt
on 12/3/11 8:27 am
On December 3, 2011 at 11:39 AM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:
I would probably have done VSG if my insurance would have paid for it, but I am happy with my RNY.  Just recently I've seen several sleeve patients posting on the RNY board, planning for revisions and I am now wondering if the failure rate for VSG is going to end up higher than with RNY - I don't think we have the data yet to know that for sure.  I'd love to be able to have NSAIDS, though.

I wonder why Sleevers are pursuing a revision to an RNY instead of leaving their Sleeve intact and 'adding' the Switch portion of the DS. Any ideas? Do you think maybe they don't KNOW about the option of adding the Switch? Are their surgeons steering them toward a revision to the RNY, because those surgeons don't DO the Switch?
poet_kelly
on 12/3/11 8:32 am - OH
I have no idea.  It's really only been recently that I've seen VSG folks on the RNY board talking about revising - until very recently, it was lap banders I saw wanting revision, and there are a lot of them.  

Kaysmommy
on 12/3/11 3:46 am - Silver City, NM
Im 2 months out from RNY and wish I was sleeved.  I was sleeved 7/25/11 and had lots of complications and was in the hospital, or on a feeding tube till I had my RNY  9/28/11.  I wish I didnt have all my complications, I researched the heck out of both surgeries, and the sleeve I felt was the best option for me.  I dont dump, thankfully, but I never wanted that to happen.  I also didnt want the malabsorabtion that comes with RNY.  That was the main reason I chose the sleeve.  So as I am on this journey with the RNY I have to think constantly about keeping up with vitamins, and I didnt want that to rule my life.  Now I am happy with my life though, I am losing great, and am healthily again after all the crap I had to go though to get here.  I accept that the RNY saved my life, and will always be happy about that. 
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/3/11 4:07 am - OH
I'm not sure what " new information and the rate of success" you are talking about... can you be more specific?

I am over 4 years out and maintaining my weight loss within 5-7 pounds of my lowest weight, so I am definitely happy with my decision to have RNY.  (Sleeve was not an optionf ro me 4 years ago, but I consdiered the DS.) I did, however, seriously underestimate how difficult it would be to live without NSAIDs (especially since I did not know until after my RNY that much of the pain in my knees was because of severe arthritis which, of course, is not reversible... and I sure could use the NSAIDs), so if I were to having to do it now (and insurance would cover both surgeries), I would seriously consider the sleeve (especially since the caloric malabsorption of the RNY is only temporary and those with teh sleeve don't have to worry about vitamin deficiencies as RNYers do).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 431 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 365 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 447 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 365 views