FINALLY!!!

Christy21
on 12/6/11 7:57 pm - CO
I am still in shock about this, but I finally got my approval today!!! I met my surgeon a year ago! I had soo much stuff to do with physicals and blood draws and then 6 months of dietician counseling and then at the end of 6 months...I got denied. That was in October. I shouldn't have been denied, and no one at United Helthcare could tell me why I was denied. It took threatening to file a complaint with the dept of insurance before they re opened and re submitted my case. And it got denied again. Luckily I knew that I had 14 days for my doctor to do the peer to peer phone call with the insurance company and that happened today. And I got approved!!!! I do not have an actual date yet but basically the first week in January is when it's going to happen!! The reason for January is that I had to submit a 5 year weight history and the weight from 2007 did not meet the obesity requirements at UHC but in 2012, that requirement will be met!! The girl at my doctors office said she would call me later this week to schedule the surgery! I'm just soo relieved it's actually happening and I don't have to take anyone to court! It was such a long battle. I was literally on the phone with my insurance company every day for 2 months trying to figure out why I was denied and how I could fix it. I just can't believe it. I had to email the girl in my doctors office later in the day to ask "you really did say on the phone that I was approved, right? I didn't dream that?" but it's true! I'm excited that I'm having surgery! I'm excited I still get to go home for Christmas and I'm so thrilled not to talk to my insurance company everyday! And since after this surgery in January will meet my deductible and maximum out of pocket expenses, I'm thinking afterwards it's time to get those pesky tonsils out. Lol. Anyway, just had to share! And my advice for anyone battling insurance...just keep at it. Everyday! The squeaky wheel gets the oil! And don't be afraid to mention things like "bad faith" and "complaint with dept of insurance". That really lights a fire under peoples butts!! 
I feel like singing all day! And I can't sleep!!!
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/11 8:36 pm
 It took me right at a year too, but it was not due to the insurance, my doctors office was just that slow at getting stuff taken care of. 

But I'm with you it was all worth the wait. I was terrified that it would flow over into the next year and then the insurance would have different guidelines, but it went through and my surgery was in November. 

Congratulations hope you get your date today. 
Jamie B.
on 12/6/11 9:30 pm - MI
Congrats Christy!! Kudos to you for your persistance!! Way to go after what you want. I hope many people in the same battle keep fighting. Sometimes all it takes is pushing until you get to the right person.

Now its time to prepare for surgery!! Read, get your protein ready and start practicing drinking a crap load of water!! :)

Can't wait to officially welcome you to the losers bench! 
Jamie        
Christy21
on 12/7/11 7:24 pm - CO
Thank you!! I too cannot wait to be on the losers bench! Lol! It was such a battle. I couldn't believe it. Many tears, rage fits and yelling went into this. Lol.

I've been drinking a crap load of water for months. Since March, for this surgery, I have given up smoking, caffiene, soda, gatorade and most junk food. I feel better already just from switching to team water!

undergoingchange
on 12/6/11 11:00 pm
Not trying to be the voice of doom here but in Georgia United is no longer going to pay for WLS after Dec 31.

Please check with your carrier to be sure they are going to cover this surgery.

I would hate for them not to pay after all you have been through.

Best of luck.
Christy21
on 12/7/11 7:32 pm - CO
I believe you got the wrong information. I googled united health care not covering weight loss surgery 2012 and did indeed find this article:

http://www.weightlosstriumph.com/2012-georgia-cuts-weight-loss-surgery-coverage.html

Every other article I found was similar. It looks as if public health care is cutting bariatric surgery programs. I have insurance through my father who works for Walgreen's on the health care services side of things. Besides, the medical director of the insurance company told my surgeon I was approved to have the surgery in 2012. If they go back on that, that is a huge lawsuit waiting to happen. Thanks for the heads up though.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 210 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 280 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 210 views