Vitamin Question -Opurity bariatric

wvugal89
on 12/12/11 2:53 am - MD

Has anyone tried Opurity Multi chewable vitamins before? Supposedly you get all of your vitamins from one chewable tablet. They were specially made for bariatric patients. the idea of one vitamin versus bunches sounds like a plan to me. I found them on the www.unjury.com website.

Sara L.
on 12/12/11 3:07 am
I take Bariatric Advantage chewable multivitamins.  The Bariatric Advantage website has a comparison chart that should help you make your decision:
http://www.bariatricadvantage.com/page/compare?title=Multivitamin%20for%20Mal%20Absorbtive%20Procedures

I was able to try different flavors in my doctor's office, and I hated some of them and liked some of them.  Whatever you end up with, see if you can get some samples before you order.  It's hard to be compliant if your vitamins taste terrible!

I also like the Bariatric Advantage passion fruit iron and the caramel calcium chews.....thank goodness for the samples!  I hated the lemon lime iron and I always love citrus flavors!!

Sara in Maui

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/12/11 3:07 am, edited 12/12/11 4:23 am
We are individuals. We need different levels of different vitamins. The idea of one pill - very nice. Practice - not so much.

They may represent the absolute minimum you need to take to not die. But for optimum levels - we need much more, and different for different people.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 12/12/11 3:11 am - OH
Do you really get 200% of the RDA of vitamin A, thiamin, B2, B3, B6, folate, iron, zinc, selenium and vitamin K in one of those?  Well, no, you get NO vitamin K at all.

Do you really get 1500-2000 mg calcium CITRATE?  Why no, not even close.

Do you really get SUBLINGUAL B12?  Well, no.

Hmmmm.  Sounds like you'd need more than that one chewable tablet, huh?

Keep in mind, anybody can make a vitamin and stick the word "bariatric" on it.  That does not mean it's really suitable for bariatric patients - some are not, including Opurity, Optisource and Bariatric Fusion.

Sounds like a bad plan to me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/12/11 3:12 am - OH
If you compare what the Opurity vitamins have in them compared to what the ASMBS says we need to have daily, you will see that they do NOT really replace all the necessary vitamins we need.  It's a nice idea -- I know LOTS of us would LOVE to be able to take just one vitamin pill a day! -- but, unfortunately, it isn't true.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Trish S.
on 12/12/11 3:42 am - Upstate , NY
I purchased the Opurity vitamins and thought that they were a good deal.  My NUT said....well, ok, but she wasn't thrilled with it.  I tried it my first day post-op and they made my tongue swell and it was very bitter.  Some people may like them, but I couldn't do it.  I sent them back today.  They are offering a full refund.  I do love Unjury protein powder, but not the vitamins.  You still need Calcium + D3,  and b12, even with the Opurity Vitamins.  I just went and bought Centrum vitamins. (my NUT says NO men's, silver, or prenatal formulas).  Make sure you check with your doctor......I bought them, and then they weren't really what he wanted me to take.  Each surgeon is different.   Good luck to you. 
“I think everyone should be told they’re beautiful until they believe it.?

Ninanet
on 12/12/11 7:05 am
          I take them and a sublingual B-12 and the Celebrity Calcet creamy bites
(calcium and D) .  I really hate to chew any brand vitamim ... so even one less is great. !    The creamy bites are like my reward after eating ...closest thing to candy that I can have . Sometimes I save one til I get a craveing for something sweet ...usualy at 10 pm .
          Labs a couple weeks ago were all normal ( except for potassium- thats been a problem for me from day 1) ....IMO  ,  its up to you and how you eat & absorb things .
poet_kelly
on 12/12/11 10:32 am - OH
But aren't you adding other pills to make up for what the Opurity doesn't have?  Or are you just not getting all your vitamins?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Eliza55
on 12/12/11 9:11 am - PA
I don't like the taste of those vitamins.  I'm sticking with the Celebrate multi vitamins and the Calcet Chews for my evening dessert.  my prefered flavor is lemon.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Most Active
Recent Topics