how long B4 you know if diabetes is resolved?

WoodsonArcher
on 12/12/11 11:19 am - TX
I had surgery last Tuesday {almost 1 week ago} and I have not taken any Levimir {slow acting} insulin at all. I have only used Humalog{fast acting} 3 times when my glucose was around 145. Each time i took about 12 units. My pre-liquid diet regemin was  40+ units of Humalog before each meal and 45 units of levimir morning and evening. I have heard that you dont have to wait until you lose your excess weight to know if your diabetes is resolved {something about your body producing hormones to increase your sensitivity to your own insulin}, but my question is, at what point do you know if you are still diabetic?

qnmimi
on 12/12/11 12:07 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
I actually call it remission. You will meet certain criteria: 1) No insulin/off oral meds 2) HgbA1c within normal range, are just a few. Do not think that the surgery alone will cure you. It can come back if you revert to old habits post op. Your body still needs time, and with healing you will be likely to get the desired outcome. Good luck, and try not to be too impatient, your body is still adjusting.

doc1857
on 12/13/11 1:31 am, edited 12/13/11 1:36 am - Elk Grove, CA

Mine took about 6 months for normal sugars, & no insulin, I am 34 months out and my sugars, when I spot check are around 85-95. But remember is can come back, if you do no****ch yourself.

Good Luck
Doc

Most Active
Recent Topics