My second option.

Sttephanniie
on 12/11/11 10:51 pm
RNY on 03/13/12
 Well I've applied twice for the sleeve and I've been denied. I never wanted to do the gastric but at this point I know I've been approved for this one I'm not sure if I want to do this one though. How has the journey been for the people who have done it any bad side affects?
Libby0218
on 12/11/11 10:55 pm - TX
I've been so very pleased with mine. I was a revision from the Lap Band and I've not had any complication, no negative side effects, and I'd choose this option again in a minute! I feel so, so much better already and I'm just down 34 pounds total.
hope2beskinnyB
on 12/11/11 10:56 pm - NC
I had the surgery on 11/2 and feel great.  I haven't had any side effects.  Thr RNY is better long term, because your sleeve can stretch out over time more easily.  You have a smaller pouch with the RNY and the added benefit of not absorbing as many calories because of the bypass part.  Everyone is different with side effects, etc.  I do not dump, and have been able to eat anything without problems as long as I take it slow.  The RNY has decades of data, and is considered the "gold standard".  I would go for it!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/11/11 11:00 pm - OH
Just FYI, the sleeve does NOT stretch more easily.  They use the area along the lesser curvature of the stomach, starting with the very same area used for the RNY pouch.  The lesser curvature is the least stretchy part of the stomach.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/11/11 11:04 pm - OH
I had NO problems post-op other than some depression... no vomiting, nothing getting stuck, no complications, and I do dump but it takes a LOT of sugar to make it happen... but not everyone has the same experience.  What are your specific concerns about the RNY?  (it is easier for us to address specific concerns than just a general one.) Once the caloric malabsorption ends, you basically have just the restriction (which is all you would have had with the sleeve).

You need to make sure, though, that you are prepared to follow the vitamin regimen required for RNY (which is much more than just a couple of multivitamins!).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

laura_vermont
on 12/11/11 11:25 pm
I thought that I wanted a band.  My surgeon told me that I would be an un-happy bander and suggested RNY.  I don't regret it.  AND, I do dump.  Usually, it's not a total surprise (you know it when you push your luck).  It keeps me honest. 

Read up on the most common side effects, if there are any that you can't live with, don't do it.  But remember, no WLS is side effect free. 

Good luck with your decision,
Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/12/11 12:17 am
The longer post op you are - the different side effects may be an issue.
I do wish I had a sleeve. But I have RNY. The long term side effects that I absolutely hate are few:
1. Reactive hypoglycemia - the longer from RNY you are the worse it can be. It can be controlled with a very strict diet: that means for me no sugar, any desserts, no bread, pasta, and most carbs are out of the questions. I can eat veggies and some (not all ) fruits. No milk or regular yogurt  - even plain (too much sugar).
2. I cant take NSAIDS - live Advil - because they may cause ulcers. Even with out them - we are prone to ulcers.  
3. Have to eat 5-7 times a day. 
4, and last but not least - no drinking with meals...

Everything else  - I pretty much can deal with (vitamins, minerals, iron infusions, hernias, etc. etc.)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

lanagirl
on 12/12/11 7:53 am
Just out of curiosity, can you drink with meals with the sleeve? I wish I had it too but my insurance company didn't cover it until right before my surgery and I was to much in a hurry to get it done. Not the best decision ever!

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/12/11 11:22 pm
yes you can.  They still have the pyloric valve.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 12/12/11 12:20 am - OH
I had gallstones eight months out and had to have my gall bladder removed.  And now I have reactive hypoglycemia.  Other than that, no bad side effects.  And I'm happy with my surgery.

Are there specific things that worry you about rny?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 68 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 68 views