Need to VENT!

RainDiva
on 12/14/11 1:02 am
we had a holiday party at work today and it seemed that everyone was watching me to see what I was going to eat. I went up last in line and came back with 4 green beans a cup of salad with no dressing and 3-4 ounces of chicken with a tiny piece of stuffing in it and the one lady said omg I didnt realize you could eat all that. hmmmmm are you serious. yeah it takes approx 15-20 mins to eat but its not much at all. It make me feel horrible like I was doing something wrong.
Just because I had wls doesn't mean I cant get good choices. I didnt take the bread or potatoes or butter no sweets its like really!!!!

EthelMae
on 12/14/11 1:11 am - MD
Take a deep breath.  Now, exhale.

If the situation happened as you described, I don't see any big deal at all with it.  You are the educated one regarding WLS.  Many "outsiders" have the misconception that you will only be able to eat a spoonful of food.

Take the time to educate others.  It's amazing what a difference in will make.

On the other had, if she really meant it **** her.  You have more important things to think about.

~Barb
Highest - 279 (08/2009)     Program Weight - 256 (03/10)  Surgery Weight - 232 (05/24/11)     

RainDiva
on 12/14/11 1:18 am
yeah she is the kind of person. I should have mentioned this isnt the first time its happened at work. I feel like I am under a microscope. I try not to make bad decisions but I am use to failing and it make me second guess myself. People assume that you will never eat more then baby food again. So when she said it everyone was looking at me and the one lady said to her see I told you she can eat something. Like what business is it of hers. I was selling sarris candy for my nephew at work last week and she said what are you doing with that candy you can't eat it. Its just irritating. I hate when people assume.

Trish S.
on 12/14/11 1:19 am - Upstate , NY
  Straight and to the point!! Loved your answer!!!  I'm still laughing!!!
“I think everyone should be told they’re beautiful until they believe it.?

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/14/11 1:22 am
3-4 oz of chicken - 2 months out - that is a lot - IMO... I can eat that now. @ 2 months out - not so much.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

RainDiva
on 12/14/11 1:26 am
I think everyone is different in what they can eat because i have no problem eating chicken but if it was beef or ground meat I couldnt eat more then 1 ounce. I am following my surg direction and the chicken was approx. i didnt eat all of the stuffing. it was about half the size of my fist the piece and i dont feel full at all

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/14/11 1:47 am
I know we are differnet. And at 2 month out - you nerves may not have healed properly yet. At 3-4 months I strated feeling the fullness. Until then - not so much.  But - as you said - we are very different. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

nfarris79
on 12/14/11 1:31 am - Germantown, MD
 I'm probably misquoting a movie (Bad News Bears? can't remember) but when you "assume", you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me". Kinda sum up some people?

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

elmersvillegirl
on 12/14/11 1:42 am
 i still am wondering how it's going to go at Christmas at my older sister's house.  i haven't told her about the surgery yet.  my older siblings are of the mentality that you just suck it up and tough it out--they would never "approve" of the surgery.  they would think it's the easy way out.  so in order to not have to deal with their criticisms before the surgery, i just did not tell them.  i'm gonna have to now because eating is such a huge part of our tradition at Christmas that they would all notice if i'm only eating mushy food, which is where i'm at right now at least until january.  so i'm thinking i'll have a plate with some tiny portions of stuffing,  mashed potatoes and maybe a tiny bit of sweet potatoes.  

so i may be in the same boat as you.  i'm very sensitive and love my siblings.  but when they criticize me, it really hurts.  and they have done it too much already in my life.  i'm just hoping that the weight loss so far will be my ammunition.  all of us have struggled with weight.  

so please look on the bright side--you're getting bad comments from co-workers, but i am facing them potentially from my own family.  wish me luck!

Cherylkas
on 12/14/11 2:20 am - PA
 My advice is to send out an email before the dinner and let them know. SO that it isnt a huge ta-do on Christmas day. And simply state this is a decison I made for MY life. If you do not have anything nice to say to me about it do not say anything at all. Let them know you love them and would apprieciate them supporting you but will not have them undermining you and your journey...I had to do this and it worked wonderfully.

Also what you plan to eat is way to many carbs and absolutley NO protein...you may get really sick if you dump. i suggest taking some greek yogurt or a protein shake with you. Just because it has always been about the food does not mean it still has to be. That is one of the major changes you HAVE to make to use this tool well.
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 332 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 223 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics