New to RNY and this site

sandyinbrookings
on 12/17/11 8:39 am - OR
I have been to this site a few times and have read what you all are writing (it has really helped) but my surgeon must really be different then most. I had my surgery 11/29/11 and was instructed that I could only have proteint drinks for 4 weeks, no food! I remember hearing this several times, but from going to this site it sure doesn't sound correct. What did you all start with eating and what did you progress to?
(deactivated member)
on 12/17/11 9:19 am
 I had to do two weeks total liquid / protein shakes. From two weeks to 3 months I am on puree foods or fork tender foods.  Every doctor is different. Good Luck! 
BWB
on 12/17/11 9:53 am
 You could get a thousand different answers but my diet was fluids at first but included soups with no chunks.  Cream of Mushroom, Cream of asparagus (delicious), Cream of chicken, etc.   Drinkable yogurt, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, Carnation Instant Breakfast pkgs. was the shopping list for the first week.

Week two and 3: pureed diet... Kroger Carbmaster yogurt- 8 gr protein,  eggs, low fat cottage cheese, plain instant oatmeal, creamy peanut butter, canned tuna,chicken, light mayonnaise.  You can make a tasty tuna salad in the blender.  My instructions were to add nonfat dry milk for extra protein and I whipped this up in scrambled eggs or omelettes (add low fat cheese). Add 2/3 powdered milk to 2 cups skim or 1%.  Seafood bisque is a wonderful treat. 

Week 4 thru 7: Soft food stage.  Shaved lean deli meat, fish, finely ground meats (hamburger, chicken, turkey). Fish, shellfish but not fried. No seeds, cooked not raw veggies. No whole raw fruit.  and of course anything that you once pureed.   Eat only food that can be cut with your fork.

Week 8:  Solid food.  All raw and cooked veggies & fruit, dried and canned beans with skins, pickles, salsas, high fiber cereals.  You will now only use protein shakes for as long as you need one.  You can eliminate protein shakes when you are getting 60-80 grams from our diet.  There is no advantage to eating more than 80 grams of protein per day.  A good alternative is to drink 1 to 2 cups of milk between meals.
At week 8, 1/2 cup quantity is permitted if you can eat that much, I couldn't.

This info was copied straight out of my RNY manual.  I'm not suggesting that you should use it but  just as an example of what my nutritionist recommends along with the doctors approval.

barbiieedoll
on 12/17/11 10:31 am
Ok...I am confused, I only had liquids the first day after surgery. I did fine. The next day the Dr moved me to soft foods, like cottage cheese and scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes and I haven't got other ideas yet. I havent had pureed foods yet, just totally skipped I guess.
You have hamburger meat and chicken under soft foods...is that in the same section as mashed potatoes? The nurse said nothing harder than mashed potatoes till 2 weeks when I see the surgeon.
thanks for ur help
angelajula
on 12/17/11 10:18 am - Eldersburg, MD
I've got something close to BWB's diet. My Dr somewhere in his literature says something like people who don't gradually introduce food to their stomach may have a harder time down the road. Now I don't know if that's true or not, but I've jumped the gun on a few things to see if I could handle it, and have. So far though I've not been sick, slight nausea, but mostly in the morning before I drink anything, and have not had any dumping syndrome in spite of my experimenting.

My advise: Primarily stick to what you Dr wants for you, but start experimenting. Maybe some cream of something soup with pureed chicken in it so that it's mostly soup?

Be very weary of the increased potiental for blockages. Eat slower yet to prevent issues.

Good luck hun.
Everybody has one fight. This is mine. ~ Stacie  
O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O
gcmcal
on 12/17/11 10:48 am - sellersville, PA
 Clear liquids for a week then 2 weeks of puréed , then 2 weeks soft. Indeed every doctor is different. Just follow what your instructed to do. 
Libby0218
on 12/17/11 11:09 am - TX
I was on clear liquids for two weeks then full liquids for four weeks. After six and a half weeks, the doctor allowed me to progress to regular foods.
BWB
on 12/18/11 5:40 am
The hamburger is a fine ground but you can make a meat loaf that is tender to digest. Make it with egg and grated low fat cheese, onion powder, garlic and any seasoning that you like. I never had the option of mashed potatoes because it is a starchy carb not good for diabetics.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 286 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 256 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 188 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 312 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?