I'm no longer anemic!!! Yay!!!

jemof2
on 12/20/11 10:17 pm - Shreveport, LA
So I kind of "chronicled" my three years since surgery in a post about a week ago (http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4481643/3-amazing-year s-have-passed-since-my-RNY-my-post-is-long/ )

One of my problems was anemia that was diagnosed January of this year.  Well I can say after a uterine ablation, getting on the correct kind of supplements, two units of blood, one iron infusion (all over the course of the last year) I am now "Normal" again LOL

I went to my hematologist yesterday and my hemoglobin was a 14.4 (lowest was 6.5 - normal is 13) and my ferretin (iron) was a 30.4 (lowest was a 1 - normal is 30).

I honestly couldn't have asked for a better Christmas present than to find out this news.  This, along with my other numbers in my previous post show that I am VERY HEALTHY!! 

However, I do realize this is a battle that I may have to wage the rest of my life.  So I'm not going to get complacent about any of it.  I have an appointment to see my hematologist in 4 months to see how I'm doing then :)
"There are two ways to live life:  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as though everything is a miracle."  Albert Einstein

Judi J.
on 12/20/11 10:31 pm - MN
congratulations! My Dr. won't do infusions for me, I'm still battling anemia with supplements. Which iron are you taking now?
jemof2
on 12/20/11 10:41 pm - Shreveport, LA
Right now I'm taking Feosol Carbonyl Iron (available at Wal Mart).  I take 3 per day along with my regular mutli-vitamin supplements.  My primary care doc sent me to a hematologist - that's about the only way to get to see one is to be referred by another doc.  I had to get my periods under control also.  It was like every time I would get my iron up, I would have a period from hell and it would go right back down.  I hope things get better for you!
"There are two ways to live life:  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as though everything is a miracle."  Albert Einstein

jemof2
on 12/20/11 10:42 pm - Shreveport, LA
My hemoglobin was at a 10.0 when he gave ME the choice to do an infusion.  He said it's not so low that it is necessary but it certainly might help....so I opted for it.

Judi J.
on 12/20/11 10:47 pm - MN
thanks, I wish mine would. I'm at 9 and she wants to try pills for a few months. I'm forcing down the Proferrin but if it doesn't work I may switch to yours. Congratulations!!
jemof2
on 12/20/11 10:59 pm - Shreveport, LA
It's not something that changes quickly I've found out...it takes months to get so low, and it takes months to bring it back up too.  But if you are not happy with your doc, call around and you might find one that takes your concerns a little more serious.  I am very happy with my whole "team" of doctors.  I never thought I would be seeing one doc, much less 3 LOL but if it keeps me healthy, I'm good :)

lanagirl
on 12/21/11 12:19 am

I was just told on Monday that I am anemic with a level of 35 and that 50 is normal. Is there more than one way to measure iron levels?

jemof2
on 12/21/11 11:13 pm - Shreveport, LA

Normal iron blood levels of adult women are 30 to 126 ug/dL. Iron status is also noted by measuring hemoglobin and hematocrit levels; this is because iron is a major part of all blood cells. Blood levels of hemoglobin and hematocrit are often checked by a skin ***** which is less accurate than drawing levels from the vein. Other lab values used to check iron status include plasma ferritin and transferrin saturation.

I would be curious to know what your hemoglobin level is.  If it's above 13, I wouldn't worry about it.  If you are child bearing age,  your iron level is going to be in that lower level.  But 35 is not considered anemic by most standards, but if your hemoglobin is low, it could be I suppose.

lanagirl
on 12/22/11 12:41 am
I'm picking up a copy of my labs this afternoon and I'll check, but the nurse did tell me on the phone that the hemoglobin and hematocrit were both in the normal range.