starting to have regrets

Patti Johnson
on 12/21/11 11:21 am - Mooers, NY
Patti Riley Johnson
Had yet another CT scan, everything is how it's supposed to be according to the Dr... BUT... now he says that i have all of the symptoms of an ulcer (now that I can't keep anything solid down) He said he could scope me again but if it is an ulcer he would just put me back on carafate again, so i said no scope. sick of the constant (and I mean constant!) stomach ache, bloating and vomiting. It even hurts to drink liquids but I need a little protein somehow! I think I'm starting to have regrets.
  Patti Surgery date June 2,2011
BW -242 SW-219 CW-204 Goal - 120            
mselgin1
on 12/21/11 11:34 am
Hi, I understand your pain. I am having some serious regrets myself. I had my RNY 11/17/11 and have been havings some issues. Just like you when I went back to the ER after Thanksgiving they did all the test to show that eveything is how its supposed to be.....but I couldn't swallow anything either. I have this mucous thing coming back up and then they did the EKG and found the ulcer. I was prescribed liquid carafate but it won't stay down. Went toi the doctor monday & my dr. prescribed the pill form. Well the pill is hard to swallow as well and it just sits there on my stomach feeling uncomfortable for about 12 hours before it actually dissolves.  I am also on TPN which feeds me b/c since I wasn't eating they were afraid I would become dehydrated. And to be honest I am a little upset b/c I feel like the seriousness of this and what needs to be done is not really being addessed. I was told to come back in 3 weeks. But WHY, if I can't even take the meds.

So I truly understand your frustration. I am really sorry you are going thru this. I really hope that things start to get better for you.  When did you have your surgery?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/21/11 12:10 pm - OH
 I'm really sorry you are in such pain and having such a hard time.  Regret is really a wasted emotion, however.  You have had the surgery, and cannot undo it, so please don't waste your emotional energy.  Focus instead on taking care of yourself both physically and emotionally.

If you are unable to even drink protein, I would be er concerned about you suffering physically from lack of nutrition.  Has the doctor not addressed how you are supposed to stay hydrated and how your body is supposed to survive -- let alone heal an ulcer -- if you are not taking in any protein?!?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

franjellica
on 12/21/11 8:43 pm - PA
Did you have a upper gi? you could have a stricture! which is easy to fix.. however I would get the scope done if that is what he wants believe me you dont want to go thru what i have. I had no symptoms of a ulcer at all.. except for a grouchy pouch once in a while.. and aparently they said I had a ulcer that tore my pouch and it leaked .. So painful and just got realesed from hosp. tues.
Hope everything works out.. but I think you should look into it.

HW 300  SW 287  CW 186 Surgery Date May 5,2011          

Patti Johnson
on 12/22/11 9:28 pm - Mooers, NY
I have had upper GI's, CT scans, endoscopies,even an exploratory surgery in the remnant stomach to look for ulcers. Anatomically, everything is fine..... except now the Dr. says "Now that you're throwing up...it looks like an ulcer has finally formed, I couldn't see one before." He can tell me a 100 things it's not but not what it is. I'll be 7 months out on Jan 2nd and have lost almost 90 lbs.He also said " You're losing remarkably well even though you're miserable." Well I should be.. I can't eat or drink. Dr. H also keeps saying that he can reverse it. when I say no to a reversal, he said well you're not that miserable then. How do you reply to that without wanting to tell him what an ass he is acting like? I'm just really fed up and wishing I had  not done this.
  Patti Surgery date June 2,2011
BW -242 SW-219 CW-204 Goal - 120