2.5 weeks post op and in holiday hell

danvet
on 12/26/11 7:04 am
 I will be 3 weeks post-op tomorrow and have had to suffer through the holidays.  I am very happy and excited about my surgery and everything is going so well, though I know I need to get in more water of course.  I'm doing great for weight loss though.

I'm feeling or I guess I would say I am grieving the loss of my old foods.  Not that I'm depressed, because I'm not, but I truly miss these foods like I never knew I would.  Everything is just so bland and boring but I am telling myself that nothing tastes as good as thin feels and being healthy is what this is all about.

Is this normal?  Will I eventually get over this loss of my "good" foods?  I'm looking forward to enjoying foods though in a much modified and healthy way, but in the meantime, it's awful.

I went to my husbands company Christmas party and I'm not even going to try to lie, everything looked amazing.  Instead I had soup which I only consumed maybe 1/4 cup of but it was amazing. I think maybe my tastes are changing but I was bummed that I still wanted those foods. 

So I'm hoping you can all tell me that this is a normal adjustment period?  That things will get better over time.  Otherwise I feel amazing but just get tired kind of easily.
DisneyLover
on 12/26/11 7:29 am - WI
once you are eating normal foods it gets better.  For the most part I do not withhold much from myself.  I am an all in moderation type of person.  There are some things that I don't eat because they don't sit well with me, but for the most part I eat what I want.

The food mourning is totally normal.  For me, post op some things that I used to love to eat don't taste the same.

In time it gets better.

Sarah

mikjul1
on 12/26/11 7:42 am - bel air, MD
I am 3 weeks to and it suck over the christmas but I am doing this for my health I keep telling my self oh of course the weight loss. You are not alone in your feelings I am right there with you.
danvet
on 12/27/11 10:37 am
 So grateful to know I'm not alone!!  Thanks!!
poet_kelly
on 12/26/11 8:22 am - OH
You have not lost good food, you know.  You just need to be a special diet for medical reasons for a short time.  Later, you can eat your favorites in moderation or eat healthier versions of them that still taste really good.

Meanwhile, whatever you're eating that's really bland and borin, how about adding some seasoning or something to make it taste a bit better.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

danvet
on 12/27/11 10:39 am
 I'm really trying that now that I've moved on to pureed foods.  My only problem is fluids.  I was doing really good on the full liquid diet but now that I've gone to puree foods, I'm struggling to get in 33 ounces of fluids.  

I appreciate your support and really have to get a grip on the fact that it's a lifestyle change for long term health!  I'm certain I'll find healthy alternatives of my favorites.  
karenswindell
on 12/26/11 8:23 am - bailey, NC
You are not alone!! I'm 3 weeks out and last night was pretty hard looking at all that food that I could not have.....but I made it through without giving in!! I would have never made it before!
Reel
on 12/26/11 8:42 am

For Thanksgiving, I was in the pureed phase. I had a full Thanksgiving dinner, except I did puree the Turkey, but I didn't make it 'soupy'.  I had yam, and I did induldge in some stuffing in moderation, pressed down with a fork, and  with a very lite oil gravy on top of everything to keep it very moist. I had a very small amount of this so I felt somewhat satisfied for Thanksgiving but I was home alone.

With that said, I understand what it must be like having a entire big family eating, drinking, and being Merry right in front of you. I think you have the right idea when you acknowledge that things will get better over time. Also when you acknowledge that you are going to be in much better shape than you are now, and that will make everything worth it.

Highest Weight: 314, Pre-Op Weight: 294, Surgical Weight: 279, 1st Goal Weight: 170, 2nd Goal Weight: 155, Current Weight:163

Raynbug09
on 12/26/11 11:14 am - TX
I guess Im maybe lucky... I'm a week post op and yesterday looking at all that food really didn't do anything for me. Although the smell of the rolls did get to me a little. Instead I ate a small bit of turkey chili with no beans, as its soft enough for me. I have to force feed myself as Im never really hungry. I will say this though, Ive been looking at th size of my husbands plates the last couple days and it amazes me at how much food he can eat, even though as short as three weeks ago I was eating just as much!!!! It's amazing!!!!!

Keeves
on 12/26/11 11:53 am - Elizabeth, NJ
You're totally normal. Of course you miss those foods! My way of dealing with it is to tell myself, "Before I know it, I'll be able to eat it again. And the best part is that I'll be able to eat A LITTLE of it without going overboard!"

And yes, it is also very common for tastes and food preferences to change after the surgery. I have no idea why or how that happens, but it frequently does.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 431 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 365 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 447 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 365 views