Hyperglycemia w/ "bulging veins" are these signs of dumping?

Geminisappho
on 12/27/11 9:41 pm, edited 12/27/11 9:48 pm - Atascadero, CA
Hi there. I have been doing great with my surgery and have never had this lovely experience before. I do treat myself to a sugar free oatmeal cookie once a week and this Monday evening I did.
I had not eaten for about 2 -3 hours pre-cookie that has 6gms of Malitol. I have had Malitol before without any ill effect.

Anywho , about 30 minutes after eating, if that, I started feeling a very slight dizzy feeling and kinda "spacey"  and then I got a bit shakey. I took my blood sugar and I was 168mg/dl. Then I noticed the veins in my arms were literally "bulging" out. Like my pressure was just skyrocketing. I could actually feel them getting bigger. It was like when you hang your arms down below your heart for a long period of time and they get big , well it was like that. I took my BP and it was normal.
No heart palpitations, no other issues than the few I described. I just chilled out on the couch and let it ride. I felt a tiny wave a nausea but other than that, nothing.
Sounds like dumping but I have never heard the "bulgin vein" symptom before so I thought I would get some advice.
Also anyone ever just start dumping out of "no where?" Is it just my body now adjusting as I am almost a year out now?
Thanks a lot for your input.

-Adreinne
***ADRIENNE**

dasie
on 12/27/11 9:50 pm
You described what happens to me when I have a reactive hypoglycemic episode.  I ate too much sugar during the Holidays.  I had actually bragged to my family I thought my hypoglycemic days were over.  Then about 2 days ago I had what you described, except my veins pretty much look like that all the time,  Anyway, my husband took my BS, and it was 98.  I told him to take it again.  I knew based upon my symptoms that had to be a false reading.  He immediately took it again, and this time it registered 62.  The testing was maybe one minute apart.  Usually my BS will fall into the 40's.  I don't know what you experienced, but next time it happens, you might consider taking you BS twice - especially if you are really symptomatic just to make sure you did not get a false reading.  But because your numbers were high you might have been experiencing something else.  I can only comment on low BS.

Geminisappho
on 12/27/11 10:04 pm - Atascadero, CA
Hi Dasie and thank you for your reply.

I too thought I was having a hypo event that is why I went to check my BG. With the reading I got I actually checked it twice and also on another meter as my cat is diabetic. All numbers were pretty close to each other, the 168 was the mean.

***ADRIENNE**

dasie
on 12/27/11 10:08 pm
Is 168 considered high?  I know so little about this stuff, except the issue with low BS.  The only time I have had a high reading was when I had a reading of 42 and I drank orange juice to bring it back up.  It shot up to around the level you got.  I have not had any issues in a while, so I thought I had outgrown this.