Going through the pre-op - should I do it?

ecart69
on 12/28/11 1:37 am - Canada
Hi everyone,
In Canada we have about 5 appointments to go through before we get a surgery date.   I'm terrified to do it but am so sick of being overweight.   I'm not scared of the surgery itself, but
all the afterward stuff that I've heard so much about like dumping, the nausea, vomiting, the excess skin etc..  Will this pass?  Can anyone tell me if all the bad stuff is worth it in the end?!
badkitten
on 12/28/11 1:41 am
I was nervous but looked at it as something I had to do to save my own life!
Yeah sometimes uncomfortable things happen after the surgery but if you really listen to your body and follow your surgeons instructions you will be fine! I have not tried to cheat and I don't want to cheat because I don't want those unpleasant things to happen to me. the surgery is the best gift I have ever given myself and I would do it all over again if I had to.....I feel so much better and I am only 10 weeks out!!!

stlfocus
on 12/28/11 1:44 am - IA
I was fortunate to have a very easy surgery and recovery.  I am 3 months out and 70 lbs lighter.  I have gone from morbidly obese to moderately overweight, my blood pressure is normal, and I am off meds for high cholesterol.

All that being said, the rewards continue to come everyday -   Going into the store and buying normal size clothing, fitting more comfortably in theatre seats, feeling normal.

Yes all the bad stuff is worth it in the end without a doubt.
Kristi N.
on 12/28/11 2:09 am - NC
Yes, it is all worth it. The first few days after surgery you may question yourself, but you would be sore and tender after any surgery. Listen to your surgeon's dietary recommendations. Listen to your body. If you don't eat crap, you won't feel crappy...simple. Walking, using light weights in the beginning, and exercise in general will help reduce the loose skin issue. Not knowing if you will have that tendency, its hard to say, but exercise does help.

My rny was 7/28/11. I am down 65 lbs since my surgery, 71 lbs since my consultation, and 83 lbs since I started this wonderful journey. I'll be shopping for single digit size jeans after New Years. No more meds, no blood pressure or diabetes issues...

HELL YEAH!!! I'd do it all again in a heartbeat and would highly encourage others to do the same.
HW 244lbs SW 232lbs CW 148lbs GW 125-130lbs                     
WoodsonArcher
on 12/28/11 2:33 am - TX
I think some of the issues people face, we create ourselves. The only time i was ever nauseated and actually vomited, i tried to eat fish less than 2 weeks out. I think if we choose a reputable surgeon from the best facility in our town and follow their guidelines, we will be fine.

jvan71
on 12/28/11 2:36 am - TN
I'm only 2.5 weeks post-op but the only time I've had any nausea is when I ate too much and I KNEW I was eating too much when I did it both times!  I did get sick the 2nd time, but that was my own fault since I have had such an easy recovery that I thought I knew better than my pouch did on how much I could eat. :)

Dumping - from what I understand, a very small percentage of people experience dumping.  I actually had a tiny bit of cheesecake last week (like 0.5 oz) and had no problems with it.  I also had a small slice of pumpkin pie at Christmas (about 2.5 oz and I didn't eat the crust) and was fine.

Unfortunately, the excess skin is something most of us will have to deal with eventually.  Some people are able to bounce back better than others but some of us will likely need plastic surgery.  I've been at least 150+ lbs overweight for over 18 yrs, so I would say I'll end up needing it.  I still plan on trying to do everything I can to keep the excess skin to a minimum!  I'm using firming lotion and once I'm cleared to exercise I'll do that as well.  Drinking plenty of water is supposed to help too.

Like I said, though, I'm only 2.5 weeks post-op but so far I'd say it's been worth it for me.  I haven't had to use insulin since my surgery...that in itself has been an amazing change!!

Good luck!!
Jen
HW: 330   SW 314   CW 262   GW 130      
ecart69
on 12/28/11 2:51 am - Canada
thanks for the feedback Jen.  I'm impressed you are online already.. haha
Good luck to you as well.
jvan71
on 12/28/11 3:10 am - TN
I'm actually back at work already! :)

I'd say it took me about a week before I could sit at the computer for more than an hour at a time.  I'm a gamer, so it took me about 1.5 weeks before I was gaming again.

I've had a really good recovery, though.  I'm only slightly sore now and that's only if I bend over to pick something up off the ground or carry something too heavy.  I'm still not supposed to lift anything more than 5-10 lbs..can't remember the exact amount.  That restriction is supposed to be lifted next week though.

Each person has to make their own decisions, but I honestly believe this has saved my life.

Jen
HW: 330   SW 314   CW 262   GW 130      
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/28/11 3:06 am - OH
 Other than the excess skin, MOST people who have the surgery have none of the other things you mentioned.  Only 30% dump, and most people have no vomiting, don't get things stuck, don't get strictures, don't have trouble eating or drinking (assuming they chew their foods well as instructed, don't eat hints hey a not supposed to, and are cautious about adding new foods back into hir diet)

You read about them MUCH more here because it is the people who DO have trouble who post about it.  People don't post just to say "day 34 and still no problems at all".

The hair loss and excess skin... Well, they just are what they are.  Not everyone has a huge amount of excess skin (although if you have been VERY heavy for many years, you probably will), and hair grows bck eventually.  You should not allow your vanity to cause you to pass up the opportunity to lose the weight and become healhy.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Sharyn S.
on 12/28/11 3:33 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
 I'm not scared of the surgery itself, but all the afterward stuff that I've heard so much about like dumping, the nausea, vomiting, the excess skin etc..

Dumping ~ consider the DS; there's no dumping with that surgery.

Nausea/vomiting ~ it's not permanent.

Excess skin ~ get plastic surgery afterwards, or, just deal.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012