5 day pouch test

twellington1
on 12/28/11 8:44 am - NH
what is the 5 day pouch test?  why would you "take" it?

sandyinbrookings
on 12/28/11 8:47 am - OR
Great question and I was wondering that myself.
No one can lower your self-esteem unless you give them permission.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/28/11 8:58 am - OH
 You can use Google to find info on it.  It is going back to all liquids and starting the process of working back up to solid foods all over again like immediately after surgery.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/28/11 8:50 am - OH
It's a fad diet used by RNYers to "reset their pouch" or to jump start weight loss.  It is nothing more than going back to all liquids.  Here is one of my "rants" on how itt is actually HARMFUL to your long-term well-being:

"First of all, the whole idea of "testing" your pouch is silly.  The problem is not the pouch, the problem is what you (and I... and everyone else...) put IN the pouch.

Second, I will just copy and paste a response that I posted this weekend regarding the 5DPT and liquid diets after WLS:

"As a Licensed Professional Counselor, this is one of my "soapbox" items... so you'll have to keep in mind that I have VERY strong personal (and professional) feelings about this one. 

{stepping up on soapbox and clearing throat...}

I despise things like Medifast and the 5 Day Pouch Test for people who have already had WLS.  You already have one of the most powerful weight loss tools that exists.  You just need to make full use of it.

First of all, those things are both nothing more than crash diets (and I consider the 5DPT a "fad" diet for WLSers).  They put stress on your body and do not work in the long run.  If fad diets or liquid diets DID work long term, none of us would have needed WLS in the first place.

Second, my bigger concern is that what these things do is reinforce the old (failed... repeatedly) "diet-deprivation-regain" cycle that kept most of us obese for years.  Going back to basics, on the other hand (protein FIRST ALWAYS, lots of water except right after meals, and limiting simple carbs), will not only STILL get the weight off (just not nearly as fast as when you first had surgery, of course), but it will reinforce the HEALTHY eating program that will help you keep the weight off long term (and make the fad/liquid diest unnecessary).

Some people claim that they only use the 5DPT to "feel" their pouch restriction again.  WIll ti do that?  Yes, for most people, it apparently does.  Here's a little "secret", though... you can accomplish the same thing by just eating somewhat smaller portions of a normal, nutritious, balanced diet.  (Go back to measuring your food portions and limit yourself to 4 ounces of food per meal again.  You will find the same thing will happen... you will be able to feel how small your pouch is (even though it is likely much bigger than when you were a coupld of months post-op.) 

Ultimately, everyone has to choose.  You can choose to go back to the past "diet-deprivation-regain" failure mode or you can choose the "back-to-basics"plan that has been proven to be successful.

{Ok, stepping of sopabox now.}"

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Hattie T.
on 12/28/11 9:54 am, edited 12/28/11 9:55 am - Denver, CO
Lora,  Thank you!
Htaylor46     HW 412, SW 386, CW 309, GW 190      
twellington1
on 12/28/11 9:02 am - NH
thank you Lora I appreciate your honest response to my question.

Most Active