Lapband to RNY scheduled for Jan. 3rd!!!

mustangmama
on 1/1/12 10:02 am - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
Tomorrow I start the "day before surgery" clear liquid diet.  The instructions state that "clear liquids don't include any dairy, and are usually easy to see through (not necessariy 'clear'"  The lists includes sugar-free popsicle and sugar-free geletin.  

I thought I read somewhere that you're not suppose to have anything red before surgery.  Does anyone know if that's the case? 

Kathleen W.
on 1/1/12 10:10 am - Lancaster, PA
I remember that I had to do clear liquids only.  Nothing but nothing else, including dairy. 

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

dori M.
on 1/1/12 10:22 am - MD
When I was on clear liquids it included: jello, broth, any color popsicles, decaf tea & crystal light type beverages
Tonya499
on 1/1/12 10:42 am - Riverton, UT
 They don't like red foods because if you spit up or poop out red it's hard to figure out if it's food coloring or blood.  I would avoid them.

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
FLJeepGirl
on 1/1/12 11:38 am
I am a band to rny conversion as well (mine was open).  My surgeon uses a "grape juice test" that he administers right after surgery (looking for any leaks) - he adds a drain to the abdomin that monitors that area to ensure everything is as it needs to be.  I know this isn't standard practice, but it is one he adopted years ago and has worked.  Saying that, I was told not to include anything red (juice, popcycles, jello) due to this specific test.  Although the hospital provided the food, he wanted to make sure I still didn't receive anything "outside" hospital food to make sure the test works correctly.  If you have any doubts, please call your doctor on his recommendations on your pre-op diet...
mustangmama
on 1/2/12 11:33 am - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
 Thanks to all of you *****plied with info...it's all greatly appreciated.

dasie
on 1/1/12 6:43 pm
Yes...we could not have anything red.  In the event there was an issue, ingesting red could mask/confuse a problem.  Best of luck on your revision.

nkara
on 1/1/12 9:38 pm
 I just had my surgery the 27th and feel GREAT!  I wish you nothing but the best.  All in all my recovery from the revision is easier than it was when I had the band.  

I did my pre-op bowel prep the day before and could only drink clear liquids... ie: water, apple juice watered down, etc.   I did everything I was told to do and it really wasn't that bad.  

Good luck 
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

mustangmama
on 1/2/12 11:31 am - TX
RNY on 01/03/12

Congratulations!  I'm hoping my procedure goes smoothly too.  I had no issues doing the clear liquid diet today....drank 90 ounces of water, 2 cups chilcken broth and one sugar free jello.

Best wishes to you...

Most Active
Recent Topics