Gastric bypass cuts death risk: study

fran_pa
on 1/3/12 5:28 am - PA
poet_kelly
on 1/3/12 5:41 am - OH
Thanks for posting this.  That's interesting.  They found that gastric bypass patients were less likely to have heart attackes, strokes or even develop cancer, AND that weight loss alone did not seem to account for the decreased risk of those conditions.  I wonder if our increased emphasis on nutrition and all our supplementation accounts for at least some of that?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

fran_pa
on 1/3/12 5:52 am - PA
That was the most interesting part for me... kind of like it fixes diabetes and high blood pressure.  Yes, it would be kind of nice to know our added efforts and positive choices lead to some of our gained healthiness.  Unfortunately that would probably require a long-term study in which there were a group of RNY'ers who did not take supplements vesus are group that does, and I just don't want to go there.

A side note:
As I keep looking back at this (I'm not sure why), I wonder how many times I might have been the token "fat person" in pictures with articles like this.  I remember once finding myself on the evening news after being at a local ice arena skating (this time of year after New Years), and they showed me on the ice and made the comment "People of all shapes and sizes can find ways to exercise."  There went my effort that year :-)  At least they didn't show faces in this one. 
nfarris79
on 1/3/12 5:55 am - Germantown, MD
 Ok, that picture thing bothers me though! Why are obese people pictured as faceless, just the body? As if the media wants to decapitate (or dehuminize) fat people!! Sorry this is off topic but that's always bothered me.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

poet_kelly
on 1/3/12 6:02 am - OH
Yeah, it would be hard to do that study.  It would be unethical to ask a group of post ops to skip the suppements because you know that would cause harm.  But there are some that choose to take minimal supplements.  I'd love to see a study comparing those that take something like Flintstones to those that take an  adult vitamin that meets the guidelines issued by the ASMBS.

But for those of us that do take the right supplements, it has to help.  I mean, studies show that low vitamin D levels increase the risk of heart disease and some cancers.  And a large percentage of the general population is deficient but many of us aren't because we get our levels checked regularly and take big doses of D3.  That right there could account for at least some of the difference in heart attack and cancer rates.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

nfarris79
on 1/3/12 5:52 am - Germantown, MD
 Very good read! If I had access to JAMA, I'd love to read the whole article. Intrigued about what Kelly said - the variables that a focus on whole-health that may account for a lower risk of fatal disease beyond just the reduction of adipose tissue. (NOT like that's a small thing!).

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 332 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 223 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics