Crazy thoughts

Laurie A.
on 1/5/12 7:02 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
I don't know if I am getting nervous, or if these are legitamate concerns, but has anyone thought about what it will be like after having this surgery when they are 80+ years old? Maybe it's because I'm a nurse and take care of the elderly often at work, but I worry about the fact we don't absorb correctly and how that will effect me in my elder years. Will I be able to get enough nutrition in to maintain myself, if not would they be able to put in a tube for nutrition even though the pouch is so small and would that then give me dumping syndrome? I know these are weird ideas/thoughts. I couldn't sleep last night and when that happens, I get weird ideas like this. Any thoughts would be great.
The Lord will not give me more than I can handle! Through Him, all things are possible!!        
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 1/5/12 7:26 pm
Yes,  I have.  I working in nursing homes in years so I thought about the dietary and vitamin needs and struggles I would have if I ended up in a nursing home.  On the flip side I have decided without the surgery I probably would not see 80.

Winnie

missjann
on 1/5/12 7:34 pm
This surgery has been done, albeit now improved, for years so there
is quite a history of good outcomes. Of course, the vitamin regimen must
be maintained, and the appropriate labs, but that's what we signed on for.
I'd rather be doing this and taking my vitamins every day than the handfuls
of meds I was on before the surgery. I had every chance of not seeing 80
without the surgery.
    Jan

Kat Kat
on 1/5/12 7:35 pm - AZ
It has crossed my mind more than once, but there are a lot of other scenarios that could take place in my life to affect it's over all quality. I could be in an airplane crash now that I can fit in an airplane seat, I could fall down a flight of stairs now that I can climb them again. I could have skipped the WLS altogether, and had a stroke at 64 due to obesity like my mom and never lived until I'm 80+ years old. The way I see this is I'm adding years to my life, and will face the challenges as they come along. The WLS is allowing me to LIVE now, and not exist for the remainder of my years.

Anxiety is good to have to help make solid decisions, but don't let it cripple you, and take over your life.

Kat

Jamie B.
on 1/5/12 8:31 pm - MI
Well said Kat!! And congrats on your weight loss...those are some amazing numbers!! 
Jamie        
Kat Kat
on 1/7/12 7:02 pm - AZ
Thanks, I sure feel a lot better too!
Ok2BHuman
on 1/5/12 11:27 pm - Red Wing, MN
RNY on 01/24/12
 Very nice response.
BigBach
on 1/5/12 8:18 pm - MI
 I too am struggling with these thoughts.  Honestely I have been praying

Ruby R.
on 1/5/12 8:59 pm
I am so glad you brought this up.  Some people make light of this question, but it is a real concern for me.  Husband is older than me, and children live out of town.  Husband's health is bad, and I will probably end up ALONE in the near future.  I am concerned what is going to happen to me.  I wake up in this big house and wonder how I will manage alone.

I have bought Long-Term care insurance, but even with that I wonder if there will be anyone to make sure I get the vitamins and nutrition I need.  So few people understand the needs of WLS patients.  Even my PCP is not knowledgeable.  I keep trying to educate her.  I think, I will write a letter with my needs and have her put it in my file.  But we all know that labs need to be done and vitamins, etc need to be adjusted.  Also Medicare does not want to pay for all the labs I need.

Forgive me for rambling so, but you have touched a nerve with me.  I am 67 and my husband's health and children being away have me concerned.  I will say I am thankful for the surgery and I know I may get hit by a truck or have some terrible disease and never get to the nursing home, but then again I may live into old age and not be able to take care of myself.  Then what?  I am trying to take care of myself and the items I have control over and  "LET GO AND LET GOD" take care of the rest.  Sometimes I am able to do this and some days I forget and wonder about my future.   

Thanks for bringing the subject to light.  And thanks for reading my rambling.  I wish you the best.

Ruby
RNY  3/11/2005
262/125/138
hi/lo/today
5'1"        
Carla M.
on 1/5/12 9:36 pm
RNY on 02/21/11 with
My Great Aunt had this surgery many years ago. She is now in her 80's and in a nursing home. She's doing fine! They schedule her vitamins in with her normal meds, she gets some by injection, but she's doing great! She has had to have a tpn (central line nutrition) before while she was sick for almost a month, but she's able to eat most of the time. I woulsn't worry so much about it. Having surgery doesn't really make getting older and being in a nursing home any different. Maybe a little, but not enough to be overly concerned about it. This surgery has been around a long time and there are plenty of older people that are in nursing homes that have had the surgery. I'm sure there would have been some information on it if it had been a problem.
Most Active
Recent Topics