Need to lose 30 Lbs in 30 days for surgery

cdreamyd
on 1/14/12 12:42 am - CO
RNY on 03/05/12
Does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best way to lose 30 pounds in 3 - 4 weeks, I have to lose it before I can have my gastric bypass surgery,
poet_kelly
on 1/14/12 1:01 am - OH
Are you working with a registered dietician?  She can help you come up with a specific meal plan.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lisa R.
on 1/14/12 1:30 am - CA
 Wow, I didn't even lose 30lbs in 30 days after my RNY, that seems like a lot.  I would say the only way to do that would be fasting with something like Optifast.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
april89love
on 1/14/12 1:47 am - NC
The only way I ever heard of anyone losing weight that fast was with a vegetable juice fast. There is a documentary about it called "Fat, sick and nearly dead". Very interesting.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/14/12 1:55 am - OH
I'm with the others... even with eating only 500-600 calories per day after RNY (and not even absorbing all of that), losing a pound a day, EVERY day is quite a feat.  Sorry, but if losing that amount of weight is required before they will put you on the table, I think you should probably expect to have surgery in 60 or 75 days rather than in 30 days.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/12 2:04 am

I typed a huge reply and lost the whole $%#$%#$ thing!  

I just wanted to say that that's QUICK.  Do they have you working with a dietitian?  In my program, you have to lose 10% of your weight...I had to lose 30 lbs.  They have you see an MD, who goes over labs/etc. and chooses a plan based on your needs/wants/lifestyle/schedule/etc.  I also worked with a dietitian every 6 weeks for f/u. I love the plan she put me on and I really feel like it helped prepare me for lifestyle changes after surgery.  

7 am:  shake  (I used NSA CIB with skim milk and EAS Myoplex Lite...Cookies and Cream is YUM.)
10 am:  shake and fruit 
1-2 pm:  shake
6 pm:  Lean Cuisine/Smart Ones (Not into processed food, which they knew, but it totally helped me relearn portion size and control!) plus plain steamed veggies (unlimited) or a salad with FF dressing

If I was starving at night, I was allowed to have another shake.  I lost 35 lbs total and would have lost more had I not been in the hospital with my daughter a few times and eating crap from Au Bon Pain. It was slow, but fast enough, if that makes sense.  

If you go with something like this, here are some FF dressing recipes that I've tried and loved. Anything FF as a dressing is just so gross and has a funky texture, IMO.  

http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/09/24/fat-free-dressing-recipes/

http://www.food.com/recipe/fat-free-asian-salad-dressing-23367

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/01/susans-lite-goddess-dressing.htmlhttp://ahealthykitchen.com/healthy-recipes/salad-dressings/non-fat-jet-fuel-salad-dressing-recipe/

Good luck!!!

cdreamyd
on 1/14/12 10:23 am - CO
RNY on 03/05/12
How long did it take you to lose that 35 pounds on this diet?
Cheryl N.
on 1/14/12 2:10 am - Des Moines, WA
That's strange, unless you go extreme, low carb dieting you can lose weight that fast in a month.

However, the surgeons wants us to lose at least 10% of weight before surgery, but if we don't reach that, it is still ok and they still proceed with surgery.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

cdreamyd
on 1/14/12 10:28 am - CO
RNY on 03/05/12
I think it just depends on how much you weigh. I know I have hit it hard dieting and lost 45 pounds in like 6 weeks just cant remember exactly what I did. And I know being on the liqued diet you lose a lot too. Just didnt know if anyone had any good ideas. I know I do have a lot of water weight.
iowa_missie74
on 1/14/12 4:47 am - IA
Were you given a certain amount of weight to lose in a certain amount of time or did you go to the dr one day and he just said, ok lose this 30 in a month and you can have surgery? If you have already lost some, how much have you lost and in what amount of time? That should give you an idea of what you can or can't do.

Most Active
Recent Topics