Going to buy my post surgery vitamins today...

Nycm
on 1/20/12 10:29 pm
RNY on 02/21/12 with
 Today I am going to buy the suggested post op vitamins and supplements.  Has anyone ordered the sample pack from Bariatric advantage?  I have Centrum adult chewables and saw Calcium Citrate on sale at Costco  I will need some really good iron since I am already slightly anemic before even having surgery. Also what about B12?  Do we only supplement if deficient?

I don't want to buy anything I won't need. 

Thank you for all the informative posts. 

Christine

Lisa R.
on 1/20/12 10:35 pm - CA
 You must take the B12.  It has to be either nasal, sublingual or a shot..not a pill.

Dont take the iron with the calcium, take them at least 2 hours apart.  You need 2 muti-vitamins a day so stock up they go fast. 

Good luck with surgery!

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Tonya499
on 1/20/12 10:37 pm - Riverton, UT
 You need sublingual B12 not the long acting stuff at Costco.  Also, the normal calcium citrate pills are huge.  I got the Citracal Petites which are still pretty hefty.  They go down okay though. That's all my Dr started me with.  Take 2 multivitamins a day.  I'm sure some more experienced folks will be along shortly.  I'm only 2 weeks out so I'm just a newbie myself.  Good Luck!

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
Bettisima
on 1/20/12 11:08 pm
Good luck with your surgery.

As the others have said, you will need to take:
2 multis a day, at least 2 hours apart, so keep that in mind when reviewing the quantity in the bottle.
Calcium tablets tend to be very large. The petites are better and a lot of stores have them in a generic brand to help with costs. Since you are looking at needing 1500-2000 mg a day, that at least 3 doses, spaced at least 2 hours apart, or you won't absorb.

B12 is for life. With our bypass the part of the intestine bypassed is where b12 is absorbed. We get no benefit from any b12 swallowed. It has to be either sublingual(which is pretty cheap, easy to find) a Basel spray (script) or shots (script). Most people are good with 500 mg a day of the sublingual. Toxicity is rare, as the body just flushes out whatever it doesn't want/need.

Iron, carbonyl is the easiest on our system with the least amount of side effects. Must be taken at least 2 hours away from calcium, as iron is a weak vit and will bind with the calcium and pass through your system. I take heme iron, which is pricey and i order it online, but it can be taken with with my calcium.

Vit D is also a staple. Most of the US is Vit D deficient, but never get tested for it. It had to be D3, and it cannot contain oil. After bypass you will malabsorb fats, and your body will not get the benefit of any supplement delivered in an oil filled gel capsule. I have found some Vit D at Sprouts/whole foods type places. You can also order D3 from Vitalady.com. She has a dry D3 that is 50k mg. Many folks take it daily for a month or so, to get their levels up, and then move to twice a week, or less. Depending on lab results.

I have done the free sample packs from the bariatric vitamin suppliers. They have some great products. But for me, I like being able to walk into a store to get most of what I need. Walgreens, CSV, Target and other stores quite often have buy one get one sales on their generics, so it saves me money that I ca later spend on new clothes.

Again, good lick!
Dave Chambers
on 1/20/12 11:56 pm - Mira Loma, CA

You need at least 2 times the RDA levels of all vitamins. On future labs you'll want your D levels at 80-90.  I use the 50 K IU dry D3 from vitalady.  Start out by taking 3 of these per week, one every other day.  Check D levels around 3 months and adjust your D intake as needed to get to 80-90.  You should be using at least a 1000mcg sublingual B12 daily to begin with.  You can adjust when you see labs. You want to have levels of b12 at 900-1000.  You can also use a higher level sublingual b12, like the 2500mcg I use--I only need them 2 to 3 times per week.  Calcium citrate are large pills. BUT, vitaladay has her calcium citrate in capsule form. These are far easier to swallow than traditional 600mg calcium citrate pills.  If you're already anemic, then you'll need a daily iron supplement.  You can't get enough iron, D3, or caclium citrate in any multivitamin, so you'll just have to take more pills.  It's just part of the program. DO not take your iron and calcium citrate at the same time--they won't be absorbed properly. Take iron and calcium citrate at least 2 hours apart. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Centexcat
on 1/21/12 4:00 am
 If you have an heb grocery store near you they have a multi that has everything plus 100% rda iron. I take two a day and they aren't too bad - 

If you are neutral in situations of injustice you have chosen the side of the oppressor ~ Desmond Tutu    
Most Active
Recent Topics