Lower back/kidney pain

mustangmama
on 1/24/12 11:39 pm - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
I had revision surgery earlier this month and I'm getting in about 80oz of water daily and my urine isn't showing any signs of dehydration. 

However, I've been experiencing pain on each side of my lower back sort of around where the kidneys are located.  It worsens if I lied in bed on my back for some reason and I notice it more after I drink something too.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  If so, what is it?  I'm wondering if I'm experiencing kidney failure because of the surgery or all the pain medications I had to take...it's really starting to worry me because it's not going away.

Nana1953
on 1/25/12 12:09 am
RNY on 01/10/12
hey mustangmama...glad to see you on here again, but really hate to hear you are dealing with the mystery pain...i personally havent experienced it, but if you really think it might be kidneys (kidney stone maybe?) i would get on into the dr...take care of yourself...
Day_dream_believer
on 1/25/12 1:10 am
It might be a kidney infection. When I had kidney stones/kidney infection my back hurt when I pressed on that area.   Call your Dr.  If it is an infection or something you want to get it before it gets worse. 

rbb825
on 1/28/12 6:54 pm - Suffern, NY
did your urine have blood or protein in it?  You might have a kidney stone which causes severe back/flack pain - I have had many stones this past 7 months with 3 surgeries and think they are back again - I had a CT scan yestarday to check. I find they hurt alot more when I am lying down, especailly in the morning after lying in bed all night or when I do too much walking or exertion. I don't exercise, so I don't know if that affects the pain

get a CT scan

mustangmama
on 1/29/12 2:51 am - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
I don't have signs of blood in my urine and I guess a test would have to be done to determine if I have protein in the urine, so I'm making an appointment with my PCP since it's not getting any better.

I've never had issues with my kidneys so this is definitely something new that started after my RNY earlier this month.

Do you know why you're getting so many kidney stones?  Is it beause of the RNY?

rbb825
on 1/29/12 12:54 pm - Suffern, NY
you wouldnt' see the blood, you need a urinalysis and that can tell you if there is blood, bacteria, protein, ketones, nitrates, glucose etc

They are very common to get after WLS - we tend to produce large amounts of calcium oxylates which are type of kidney stones.  I had my urine tested and my calcium oxylates were off the chart. I alsohad  a high PH and a very low citrate level - these are all causes for kidney stones.

I am taking 100mg of vitamin B6 which lower oxylates, calcium citrate with meals to increase my citrate levels and am supposed to take potassium citrate 2 times per day but you can't take it with a bladder infection and also warns of possibility of ulcers and bowel obstructions and since I have had both, I am scared to take it.  I also h ave had chronic bladder infections for the past 6 months, so until they are cleared up, I can't take them anyway - they are also supposed to increase the citrate level.  IT is also recommended to drink alot of citrus - so I drink alot of orange juice.

For me, I didn't get them after my RNY but after having a large part of my colon removed last winter, that caused the problems.  IT is known that kidney stones form after bowel resections.

You can get alot of great information at Litholink.com - check out the patient info part

Jennifer M.
on 1/29/12 3:56 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 A few years ago, I had this kind of mystery pain.  It was a urinary tract infection that had made its way higher up.  A few weeks of antibiotics, and it was fine.  Please get it checked out.  I had to be on antibiotics a lot longer, because I let it go too long.

myminime
on 1/29/12 2:24 pm - Eugene, OR
I had a nice bout of pancreatitis and an infection in my colon and it started out with pain like you mentioned. Mine was worse after eating for sure.

Three days of clear liquids (water and broth, how exciting) followed by 10 days of a pair of hard core antibiotics, and I'm back to my version of normal

I'd recommend having it checked out for sure. I couple of pokes and prods or an ultrasound and urine test will hopefully get you some answers! I hope you feel better soon!
HW:  255  SW:  225.7  CW:  156.3

mustangmama
on 1/30/12 12:08 am - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
Thanks everyone for responding.  I have an appointment with my PCP thi week to get this pain checked out.