Hair loss ??

Lorenza925
on 1/28/12 2:43 am - CA
VSG on 03/06/12
Hi everyone!!

I have my RNY sceduled for march, and I was wondering what everyones experience with hair loss, does everyone experience this?? what is the best way to combat it? when does it start happening? when does it end??

Thank you in advance for sharing.

Lorenza
missjann
on 1/28/12 3:11 am
You can do a search on here and find lots of threads related to hair loss.
Not everyone experiences hair loss, but most do to some extent. It varies
for everybody...some mild, some severe. I had severe hair loss. While some
think Biotin supplements help, they really only help with hair regrowth.
Other than making sure you take your supplements and get your protein in,
there's nothing you can do to "stop" the hair loss. You'll lose what you lose.
Biotin may help with hair regrowth. I think I started losing at 4-5 months out
and lost hair for several months. Some report losing hair for 6 months or more.
Hair loss can occur after any major surgery, but combine that with the
malabsorption of nutrients and vitamins, and it becomes pretty common
and normal after this type of surgery.  Good luck!
    Jan

cookies4pennies
on 1/28/12 3:23 am
Hair loss is very common, almost everyone experiences it, from mild to severe loss.
Some say if you consume lots of protein it will help combat it, but I don't think it matters. You are either going to lose or not.
Some swear by biotin, but be prepared for an increase in hair everywhere.
It typically starts to fall out at about  3-4 months post op and lasts 1-3 months.  Just remember, as soon as a hair falls out, a new one immediately starts to form.
When my hair loss stopped, I had new growth(from the hair I lost in the beginning) that was almost 2 inches long.
              Note to self..... Slow and steady wins the race!       Repeat...

lifetimelearner
on 1/28/12 4:11 am - Hallsville, TX
From my experience and the experience of the other people I know who have had RNY hair loss is just a side effect of the weight loss.  Mine and my sisters started at 3 months out.  Mine lasted until I was 9-12 months out.  I will tell you I have taken the highest dose of Bioten from Wal-Mart 2x per day since I could swallow pills.  I believe that it helped the regrowth process.  My hair is full and healthy again.  I am currently 1 1/2 years out of surgery.  My hair looks as good or better than before and my nails grow quickly.  Good luck with your new life journey.  I hope you are as successful as I have been.  Just remember to get your water, eat your protein and take your vitamins. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/12 4:43 am - Boston, MA
 I lost 1/2 my hair from 3-6 months... no bald spots or anything just overall thin hair.. no one else notices but I hate it!! it's growing back slowly.. I have 2-3 inch growth all over my head... waiting patiently!
newme009
on 1/28/12 9:50 am
 Most people will have severe hair loss......I lose half of my hair volume n I hated it ....... Mine started at the end of my 3months and lasted till I was 9months out .... I am 3 years out andI still haven't got all my volume back but I think everyone is different. Biotin or anything else will not help, I tried it all and made sure I too all vitamins and proteins and it still fell out like no tomorrow. I think that was the worst part of this surgery. 
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 290 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 213 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 282 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 213 views