Food for the lifetime after surgery

mpjones
on 1/30/12 3:39 am
I've been reading all the posts I can here on this forum and I've noticed a lot of people saying how they "dump" (I really don't like that term but it seems to be used even in the medical information I've read !!It really sounds like a teenage slang reference to another body function--but I digress-LOL) on sugars, fats, or carbs. Ok, the sugar I can live without, but does that mean I can never have things like butter on my veggies, or potato salad with mayo ( hate fat free anything but will learn to live with it if I have to),noodles or bread (that's what I think of when anyone says carbs). I haven't had the surgery yet and none of this was discussed when I saw the dietitian at the surgeons office. I think the reality that this is a totally different way of living life is begining to sink in. I wish as much information had been given when I had my first meeting with the doctor  as I've gotten here on this forum.Maybe they don't wnat to scare people off?? I'm just one of those people that want and NEED as much information as I can get. Thanks for letting me ramble but I sure would appreciate any information you guys can pass on to me. THANKS.
dianabelle12
on 1/30/12 3:42 am
No it doesnt mean that,i still have butter on my veggies just in moderation same with fats and sugars!I have carbs to but i limit them!

poet_kelly
on 1/30/12 3:48 am - OH
Well, most people don't dump.  The Mayo Clinic says 25-50 percent dump, and many of those only "mildly."  As far as what foods people tolerate, it really varies from person to person.

Most people can tolerate at least some sugar.  Most can tolerate a little butter on some veggies but may not do well with someone very high in fat.  Of course, eating a lot of very fatty stuff will not help you lose weight anyway.  Many people tolerate some starchy carbs in small amounts - I can eat about half a cup of pasta but more than that feels uncomfortably heavy in my pouch.  Doesn't make me sick or make me dump or anything, though.  Some people do better with thin bread or toasted bread.

The reality is, you will probably be able to tolerate at least most foods that you like after surgery.  There may be some things you don't tolerate well, though, and there's no way to predict what those things might be.

As far as the term "dumping" goes, I understand why you don't like it.  It's short for "dumping syndrome," which actually is the medical term for it.  It's called that because it typically happens when the contents of the stomach (or pouch, in our case) empty into the small intestine too fast, or "dump" into the intestine too fast.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jazzycatz
on 1/30/12 3:55 am - Joppa, MD
I don't like the term either...lol.  And I think it leads people to automatically think of that other bodily function when in fact Dumping Syndrome may not make you have to poo.  It depends really.  When I dump it is rapid heart rate, cold sweats, severe cramps, sometime dry heaves.  Then maybe...maybe the other. 

But back to your question.  No.  It doesn't mean you can never ever have these things again.  At just over a year out I still don't eat much bread or pasta but that is not only because of the carbs but because they sit heavy in my pouch.  And much to my surprise I have learned to live without them most of the time.  I eat spaghetti sauce minus the pasta (I call it spa-chili now).  I eat sandwiches minus the bread. 

You will most likely learn how much of any fat or sugar you can stand at one time.  For instance, I can eat up to 20 grams of sugar at a sitting and not dump.   My heart rate might pick up a bit which means I am heading towards a full out dump.  Tat's my warning sign.  Fat I have more trouble with.  It's my wild card.  I can't really tell in advance if there is too much fat for me or no.

And somethings you can eat time and time again with no issues.  Then suddenly...dump city. 

But as you are realizing it IS a different way of living.  At least for most of us. 

And thanks to you for letting me ramble. 

mpjones
on 1/30/12 7:49 am
Thanks for the replies.Like I said I willing to do whatever it takes to make myself successful after surgery--I'm trying to prepare my mind for the future--sweets --no problem doing away with that but geesh, give me a loaf of bread and a stick of butter and I'm good for the day !! Will definitely be working on that. Once again--thanks.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/30/12 7:59 am - OH
 The key when it comes to dumping is the AMOUNT of sugar or carbs you eat.  The reaction to fat isn't really dumping, but it can be equally as unpleasant, and it, too, depends on how much you consume.  You will certainly be able to tolerate all of these things in small to moderate amounts (although bread and noodles should be things you eat only rarely since they offer little nutritional nd are carb-heavy).  Having a moderate amount of mayo in some chicken salad is different than eating high-fat, fried food.

Yes, if you want to be successful MAINTAINING your weight loss down the road, you WILL need to change the way you eat and, possibly, the way you think about food.  This is not a diet just to get the weight off (well, for some people it is, but it shouldn't be...).  This really needs to be a lifestyle change.  Every vet here will tell you the same thing.  People who go back to eating the way they did before surgery gain weight back.

I am VERY surprised that no one has yet talked to you about the importance of an eating overhaul post-op.  They are doing their patients a hide disservice by not doing so.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

mpjones
on 1/30/12 8:23 am, edited 1/30/12 8:24 am
I've been through all the papers from the doctor's vist and the only thing about changing eating habits is a paper that says something along the lines of no carbonated beverages or liquor, don't drink with a straw or with meals, cut back on caffine, drink at least 64 ounces of water a day and as for food take a small plate --vegtables on 1/2 of the plate, startch on 1/4 of the plate and protein on the other !/4 of the plate.Take at least 30 minutes to eat your meal, chew each bite at least 30 times, put silverware down and don't pick it up again ntil you take the next bite. Always eat at a table without a tv on  or music playing. Maybe once I'm approved and have a surgery date set I will get other instructions  but so far this is it.
Sunnygurl
on 1/30/12 8:24 am - VA
RNY on 02/28/12
My surgery is scheduled for 2/28 and so that i do not go into shock with my new lifestyle, i've made some huge changes in the way i cook and eat.  Not only have i felt better but my family has enjoyed the changes too.  I'm not sure how well they will do while i'm on my liquid diet and work through my diet phases, but they will adjust along the way.  I guess, what i'm trying to say is...  the changes we make today about our meals will not only affect us but will affect the entire household.  Not a bad thing at all...  Try small changes while you work through your supervised diet...  start reducing your carbs...  try eating protein first...  and see how you feel...  it will become a habit and you'll feel really good.  i've lost a few pounds with just the few changes i've made and look forward to my new pouch to loose the rest... 

mpjones
on 1/30/12 8:37 am
I've been trying to be very mindful of following what few instructions I've gotten so far, I use the bread plate and not the dinner plate and I do divided it into the 1/2 vegetables and 1/4 each for protein and starch, I've really upped my consumption of water. I've also been going through a lot of cookbooks to see what I could use to flavor my food bcasue cooked veggies for me have always had to be drenched in butter and LOTS AND LOTS of salt ( which is one of the man reasons I'm on 2 blood pressure meds and 2 different "water pills". I want to do this right and sure hope I get more or better information as I get further into this process, I've even been practicing the chewing each bit 30 time (which my grandsons think is a hoot) I'm trying--I'm REALLY trying.
Keeves
on 1/30/12 8:42 am - Elizabeth, NJ
mpjones, you have a great attitude, you're doing good research, and I wish you much success.

You doctor's papers are excellent guidelines for your first few months to a year, as you're relearning how to eat. But there ARE a lot of details missing, as you're now learning. Dumping is one area, and having to take vitamins forever is another. Keep doing your research and you'll pick it up.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 357 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 260 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 106 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?