Painful Eating and Feeding Tube Hole Leak!

Ashley G.
on 2/4/12 3:13 am - VA

Okay guys, I've reached level 4 of my diet... but here's the thing : it hurts when I eat. It hurts going down, it hurts when it reaches the pouch, and it's misery while it digests. Is this normal at first and things get easier?

On another note, I had my feeding tube removed almost 2 weeks ago... and it leaks sporadically. The bad part is that the skin around the hole is raw and when the leakage hits it, it burns so bad. Any ideas on how to soothe this process???

Kaysmommy
on 2/4/12 3:19 am - Silver City, NM
When I was newly out from RNY my pouch never hurt like that.  I would contact your surgeon, and make sure everything is OK. 

My feeding tube site on the other hand was a pain in the butt.  I would think that it was healed over then it would start leaking again, or fill with fluid and need to be opened back up.  It took me about 2 months before it stopped acting up.  Ive had it out about 4 months now, and it is still tender.   It will take a while.  I dont know how long you had yours in, but I had mine about 2 months, so I dont know if that has anything to do with it.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Reel
on 2/4/12 3:48 am
 Wow, I would definitely talk with my surgeon ASAP. I never had pain with food going down. I did have it with water in the beginning but not food. 
Kallen27
on 2/4/12 4:21 am
Does everyone get a feeding tube?

Kenochs84
on 2/4/12 4:36 am - PA
RNY on 01/03/12
 I am not sure what level 4 is for you...but if it involves food in its more natural state...I might think maybe chewing wasn't done well enough?  That has happened to me.  Just a thought!  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/4/12 4:43 am - OH
 No, most people do not get G-tubes.  Some surgeons are more likely to use them than others, and some use them more routinely than others.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kaysmommy
on 2/4/12 4:56 am - Silver City, NM
No.  I had major complications, and my stomach was completely closed off at my VSG.   I ended up with a feeding tube while my body was healing and preparing for an RNY to fix all my complications, and needed nutrition somehow.  
bowknot
on 2/4/12 5:18 am
No, most people do not need them.

Kay
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/4/12 4:42 am - OH
Contact your surgeon.  It is not usual to have such pain when eating (even for people who start soft foods right away after surgery) -- you say it hurts while it is digesting... How long does the pain last and where is the pain while you assume it is digesting? -- and your G-tube hole issue is not typical either.  Not to say that either issue indicates any kind of serious problem... Just that your surgeon needs to know about them and advise you.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

bowknot
on 2/4/12 5:27 am
Are you taking a proton-pump inhibitor? I take Omeprazole (Prilosec) daily.  I get crampy in my pouch if I don't take it.  I recommend including it in the discussion with your doctor. 

Kay
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 140 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 110 views