So incredibly, painfully constipated

graceinpas
on 2/6/12 1:33 pm
 Dr. told me to take MOM how long will it take to work????????

Any other ideas?  This hurts!!

thank you in advance.

ouch

Saying good bye to the fat, uncomfortable life I am living and hello to a thinner, more active second half of life!!!!    
JudiJudi T
on 2/6/12 1:39 pm
send someone out for an enema?? keep one on hand and some glycerin suppositories.    it sucks to get that constipated.  try to catch it early when you can so you don't end up impacted.  this is one of those little fun things the docs never tell us about.  

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

Chilipepper
on 2/6/12 1:55 pm
The early ones are the worst..we have all been there....you need to add a little more fat to your diet...MOM will help but you will most likely have to help work this one out.  Sit in a warm bath...that will help ease the muscles...From all the protein they get to be solid masses....you have to try and prevent them...Every time I added to my diet, I made sure I had Dulcolax on hand.

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Jenspunky
on 2/6/12 2:09 pm
RNY on 01/16/12

I took Colace for a few days.  It worked for me.  

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

graceinpas
on 2/6/12 2:21 pm
 thank you ! I am going to try these things and have my hubby get me the rest of these items tomorrow.

Definitely did not expect this type of pain from this problem!

Saying good bye to the fat, uncomfortable life I am living and hello to a thinner, more active second half of life!!!!    
Nessy2976
on 2/6/12 5:55 pm - MD
 Take stool softeners. It won't really help right away, but it will help it from happening again. I use beneifiber in my water. It is the worst I felt early on when I just could not go. I tried everything. Like the post above says.....it is the protein and not enough fat in your diet.  This does get better. I kept enema's on hand the first few months. Hang in there this will pass, no pun intended....lol. 
 "Patience is bitter, but the fruit can be sweet."                            
Verde38
on 2/6/12 8:29 pm
Been there! It took me 14 hours before I finally gave brith to that bad boy! What finally worked for me was taking a double dose of miralax followed by using a fleet mineral oil enema, that sort of coats everything and makes it slippery. I waited about an hour and did the larger size fleet saline enema. ABout 20 min after that it finally happened.
cookies4pennies
on 2/6/12 9:19 pm
Dulcolax suppository will have you going in less than 30 minutes. Promise
Karly Green
on 2/6/12 9:34 pm - Middletown, NJ
I feel for you honey. When I was about a month out I suffered from SERIOUS constipation to the point where I was sitting on the pot, crying & sweating, and praying for relief.

I took Colace which helped but it takes a little while to build up in your system. Benefiber helps, but I also realized that COFFEE helps to keep me regular. 1 cup a day will help me go.

But MOST IMPORTANT is WATER! If you're not getting enough fluids in, you wont poop. And that's the Hands to God truth.
So sip sip sip till your feel like you're gonna float away. It'll help.

I hope you get some relief soon. Good luck!

-Karly

Watch what I eat at myfitnesspal.com username karkar28
tulips52
on 2/6/12 10:09 pm

I had many bouts of this until I learned what combination would keep me regular. I was so close to going to the ER a few times. Luckily, I had gloves and vaseline and sometimes I had to "dig" to help it along. I know it sounds gross, but I surely didn't want to go to the ER (small town and eveyone knows everyone) I am still amazed that the COE's do not prepare you for this aspect of post op. As someone else said, make sure you get plenty of fluids in. It really does make a difference. I hope this situation gets better for you, soon!!!!