Getting my head in the game

nursechristi
on 2/7/12 11:57 am - TX
RNY on 01/26/12
 Hi there!  I am 12 days out from RNY. I am now able to advnce from clear, sugar-free liquids to stage 2 (soft cheese,milk, beans, yogurt). I am looking at some of the cookbooks and selecting recipes that look good. I am getting excited about all of the things I can now try (SF pudding).
I have always loved food, kind of a foodie. I liked to try new foods and ate because I liked the taste of food rather than using food as nutrition.
Today at Pantera Bread, I looked at the nutrition info for their soups... I figured french onion was a safe bet, but it had 6g of sugar. I ended up getting broccoli cheese because it has 0g of sugar. I ate it and tolerated it well. I didn't feel full,but stopped at 1/3 cup because I was afraid to eat anymore. I truly enjoyed this meal.
It scares me that I am still so excited about yummy food. I am worried that if I don't change my thinking, that I will fail again after this surgery. Anyone understand and have advice?
Ladytazz
on 2/7/12 12:11 pm
What's wrong with enjoying food?  If food didn't taste good then people would probably starve.  I enjoy food more because I am not abusing it.  It's like those gourmet restaurants you see that serve those teeny tiny portions.  I would never want to go because I knew I would never be satisfied with such a small amount.  Now I could go and enjoy every bite and be satisfied instead of wanting more.
Since I had my surgery I haven't been hungry a whole lot.  A completely different experience.  I was telling my daughter that and she was concerned.  She asked if I still liked eating and I told her I love eating.  I just don't get that urgency if it is close to dinner and I need to eat something quick or I will be hungry, if that makes sense.  I had such a fear of hunger that I would over eat to ensure I would never experience it.  My surgeon told me that the best outcome he can hope for is when a patient tells him they aren't hungry.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

qnmimi
on 2/7/12 12:17 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
It's not a bad thing to enjoy the food you now get to eat. Most of us had to do liquid diets pre and post op, so textures and flavors are to be savored. Wrapping your head around why we got fat, and our relationship with food is where the real headwork is. Mindful eating is a good goal for everyone, not just for us. Food is fuel, but what's the point of eating something in a small amount, but feeling too guilty to enjoy it? Might as well stick to protein shakes that taste like wallpaper paste!!! Self awareness is also a good thing (thanks, Martha) Enjoy your change in diet...embrace the food for what it is....food.

justthe3ofus
on 2/7/12 12:30 pm - Northwest, IN
I have to quote Kelly when I say they preformed surgery on your stomach, not your brain! That being said, its fine to still love food. But its also time to start making good choices. I know I don't want to have to go through getting my guts rearranged again.

Have you checked out http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/ or http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

Both have tasty WLS friendly recipes.
Kim B.

HW 295/ SW 281/ CW 209.6/ GW 155
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. - Eleanor Roosevelt

poet_kelly
on 2/7/12 12:51 pm - OH
I still get excited about yummy food.  I don't think there's anything wrong with that.  You can get excited about healthy yummy food instead of focusing on junk food.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

nursechristi
on 2/7/12 1:30 pm - TX
RNY on 01/26/12
 Thanks so much! I tend to overthink things...but I feel  like I've been given  a huge opportunity for a better and healthier life- I am so afraid of blowing it. I have seen bariatric foodie (play with your food) but not eggface's website. I'll check it out! Thanks so very much for answering!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 429 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 356 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 281 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 161 views
Recent Topics