My surgery was Monday

kait8513
on 2/9/12 1:01 am - FL
RNY on 02/06/12
I had surgery Monday around 1 pm, finished right before 4 pm.  They were able to do a sinlge incision lapriscopically...  I have been sore through the middle but no real pain.  I have been taken loritabs since I have been home but I am making that smaller and smaller (bottle says 15-30 whatevers every 4 hours, I am taking about 10 every 6 hrs).  I think the worst part so far had to have been the 2 hr ride home on Tuesday night.  It made me a little nauseous... but I am moving around just fine, trying to get some rest, I think I am not getting in all my fluids (sleeping too much) so I am making a more concious effort today.... My doc has me on a strictly clear fluids (no protein) for the first 2 weeks... this seems very different from everyone else, but I can't say that I am hungry or anything.  My husband is going to pick me up some broth on the way home to mix it up a bit.  I also desperately need a shower, so I amhoping he won't get too grossed out and can help me when he gets home from work ;)  Hope all my other surgery buddies are doing well!!!
--Kaitlyn
Starting Weight:275     Surgery Weight:255   "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" 

poet_kelly
on 2/9/12 1:11 am - OH
I'm glad everything went so well.

I have a question.  Why no protein for two whole weeks?  I understand clear fluids, but why no clear protein drinks?  I'm thinking you will be awfully weak and tired with no protein for so long, plus how will your incision and everything heal with no protein?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kait8513
on 2/9/12 6:47 am - FL
RNY on 02/06/12
I read all my paperwork many times.  they have me on clar liquids for two wks then I move to full liquids and my protein shakes.  I didn't think anything of it until I was reading other post-ops who were drinking their protein in the hospital.  I have some clear proein drinks, so I may try and see if I can handle them tomorrow...  I agree that I need the energy.  i did have some broth today and that was yummy.... 
--Kaitlyn
Starting Weight:275     Surgery Weight:255   "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" 

hoosierapple
on 2/9/12 1:12 am
Revision on 06/05/18

Glad things are going pretty smooth for you.   May you have a speedy recovery. :)

Best wishes!

Lisa S.
on 2/9/12 1:18 am - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
Awesome!!! Congrats girl. I will keep you in my prayers. Keep us updated.

JamieL846
on 2/9/12 1:31 am - MI
Wow that is a long time without much nutrients! If I remember right, I has a day with no protein and after that I could do clear protein. Isopure is a great one for clear protein...sugar free green apple over ice....make sure you check with the nurse and nutritionist...my dr seemed to not know exactly what the diet should be when he would give me the post op phone calls after I was at home...
PozestStar
on 2/9/12 2:50 am - AL
RNY on 02/06/12
 Hey!  My surgery was Monday too (at about 7:30 am CST).  I hope you're doing well.  It does seem a little odd that you're on clear liquids for 2 weeks.  My doctor had me on clear liquids for 3 days, then I could do all liquids (including my protein shakes, skim milk, broth, sugar free/fat free jello and pudding, strained cream of [whatever] soups) for 2 weeks.

Whatever the case, I hope you're feeling well.

wvugal89
on 2/9/12 3:17 am - MD
I would double check about the no protein, I was given bariatric protein shakes in the hospital before I was discharged and protein shakes/protein powder was a staple in my diet as soon as I got home.  Your body needs the protein so it burns fat and not muscle.

Teri-Lynn
POI

sandy822
on 2/9/12 7:21 am - FL
 I also had to wait till week 2 to start my protein.
Christopher S.
on 2/9/12 7:36 am - Medina, NY
RNY on 01/24/12
  It was 5 days of clear only then from 5 to 16 days. 3 oz of carnation instant breakfast with skim milk. Morning, noon, dinner plus clear liquids. No other proteins. That was my Doc's plan. 

Weight Loss Ticker

Christopher

Most Active
Recent Topics