getting cold feet....surgery or no show Wed...

darlinjasa
on 2/13/12 5:53 am - FL
Well I'm 48 hrs out n getting cold feet.
Am I trading one health issue for another? I.keep reading all these post surgery Probs on here n I'm scared.
Not 100% I'm gonna show up Wed.
I'm scared to never eat n drink n feel normal
And to have constant health issues related to the surgery.

Encouragement needed
momsal
on 2/13/12 5:58 am - PA
it normal to be afarid!!    I had my surgery on 1/23 and haven't had any problems.    Most people don't.  I don't  know what you health issues are  and only you can decide if you want to go ahead  but  don't base your decision  on what has happened to others.
darlinjasa
on 2/13/12 6:03 am - FL
Ty. I'm low risk, mostly weight n RA.
I'm overwelmed w all the vitamin deficit. Probs, and gallstones, wtf. My mind is making me 2nd guess n stay fat, eat what I want, and stay on the meds I'm on lol. I'm just scared n reading so much more negative than positive. It's playing games w my thoughts
Jenspunky
on 2/13/12 6:27 am
RNY on 01/16/12

There's going to be more negative posts than positive because people come here for help and support, and need it more so when there is a problem of some sort.

I have posted several problems, but few "happy" posts.  I'm not miserable, though!  I have had a few hard days, that's all.  I have an uncommon issue w/drinking, but it's resolving itself a little bit each day.  

I'm 4 weeks out today.  I'm able to eat some of my favorite foods, which has really helped me, mentally. Yesterday had my first taste of filet mignon since surgery - and it went down fine and was so good I almost cried, lol.  

I was very scared once I got back into the holding room.  But it really was NOT bad (and I'm a very sensitive, anxiety-prone person).  I requested something to relax me, and they gave it to me after I spoke with my surgeon.  It was awesome, lol.  Then I got nervous when getting wheeled into the OR and laying on the table, but I had the best nurse helping me relax and was knocked out in less than 3 minutes.

I've not had a problem w/the vitamins at all.  That's very easy to me.  I have all chewables and one that dissolves under my tongue (the B12). 

It's ok to be nervous, but be brave!  You can do this!

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

nkara
on 2/13/12 6:08 am
 I am 7 weeks post op and I have had no problems so far.  I feel fantastic!  I had lap band and revised to by pass and the healing process for me has been 100% easier.   

If you know in your heart this is what you need to do to be healthy for the rest of your life than that's all you need to listen to is your heart.  

I was nervous before my surgery and when they came in to give me the medicine to make me comfortable they must have known I was nervous because I was out before they wheeled me down the hallway... next thing I knew I was waking up in my room. 

As far as eating and drinking normal... for us it will be a new normal.  You won't be able to eat large quantities of food but you sure will be able to eat.  I have had not had one problem with eating any food yet.  I also have not had any health issues and I plan to follow my doctors advice for the rest of my life so I won't. 

Good luck and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. 
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Ramie A.
on 2/13/12 6:19 am, edited 2/13/12 6:19 am - Bronx, New York, NY

I'm only 6 months out and feel totally normal!   It's the best thing I ever did for myself.  Think of it this way -- the chances of you being in a car accident are MUCH higher than you having complications from this surgery.  And yet you get in a car and drive every day, right?  You accept the small risk potential in exchange for the convenience of traveling by car.  I accepted the small risk of surgery complications so that I would become a lot healthier!   "Normal" is NOT what we were (are) doing -- overeating, stressing about food and our weight all the time, pain, diseases, etc.  It will be a lot easier to be normal after surgery than trying to be normal without it! 

May I also add that if you simply take your vitamins and get your labs checked, you won't have any vitamin deficiencies.  And if your gallbladder fails, then so be it.  It's better than YOU failing (dying prematurely of obesity-related illnesses).

Good luck and if you have any questions or need additional reassurance, feel free to PM me.

Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/12 6:33 am
You have to make the best decision for you... no one can make it for you.  That being said...

... remember that most of the time when people post here they are looking for support of some kind.  As such, you read about a lot of issues... but there are many, MANY people who have very few issues post-op.  I am fortunate to state that I am one of those... I have had a relatively uneventful recovery and past two years post-op.  I had no strictures, I've had no vomiting or inability to eat, I've been able to get all my protein, liquids and vitamins in, and my bloodwork has always been good.

So please take that into consideration when making your decision.  This procedure has been life-changing for me and I wouldn't change it for the world.  I am sure there are countless others that are just as happy with their RNYs.

Best of luck to you... be brave and make the best decision for your health, whatever that is.

tori
darlinjasa
on 2/13/12 6:43 am - FL
Thank u all. Ur encouragement is a blessing. Ido know I need to do this, I guess my nerves...are taking over.

I can do this!
Jennifer A.
on 2/13/12 6:50 am, edited 2/13/12 6:50 am
I'm 13 months post-op and have lost a total of 150 pounds. When I got my date, I panicked and had the same fears. I actually cried thinking all the things I could no longer have. However, I don't regret it for a second!! I can eat pretty much normal other than sugar (I'm a dumper). In fact, I'm at a point that I can eat "too" normal so I have had to reign it in a bit. My food portions are around 1-1 1/2 cups, depending on what it is. No health problems, side effects or complications either (knock on wood lol).

karlee_evans03
on 2/13/12 6:53 am, edited 2/13/12 6:54 am - cullman, AL
It was worth it for me!!! I  now do not depend on insulin and i can also chase my kids around!!!! I am 10 weeks out tomorrow! And i can go out to eat with  my family (my meal last for a least 4 meals now lol). But i have not had any complications and i pray it stays that way!!!

KARLEE

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 370 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 208 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 100 views