Emotions

mikjul1
on 2/17/12 9:29 am - bel air, MD
Does everything feel like you are always mad or depressed after surgery sometimes I am fine then bam emotional roller coaster.  I guess it is a stage I do not know maken family crazy. Sorry had to vent.
WCrown
on 2/17/12 9:32 am - NE
 Yup.  I feel that way a lot.  It's better since I am back on my antidepressants.  Massive life changes affect the whole family not just you and it makes it that much harder.  Good luck.  I hope you feel better.  
mikjul1
on 2/17/12 9:35 am - bel air, MD
Yea I am trying to stay off those antidepressents "lexapro" they make me tired and I hate that feeling.
WCrown
on 2/17/12 9:38 am - NE
 That one can be hard to get use to.  I have tried several over the years as insurance won't cover some.  Currently taking zoloft.  I hear it can be hard on the stomach, but it doesn't seem to bother me.  Have you started exercising yet?  I started swimming and I find it so relaxing.  It gives me alone time without my husband or daughter and just time to focus on me and the water makes my back feel so much better!

kittehkitteh27
on 2/17/12 9:42 am - Zebulon, NC
RNY on 01/18/12 with
I have also experienced this. I feel like I am often way more easily irritated than before. I get very annoyed, very quickly. You are a few months further out than I am but the way I see it is that this is a big lifestyle and physical change that we are going through and its going to affect our moods.

I had a friend ask me how I was doing after surgery. I mentioned that I was up and down and all over the place emotionally. She responded with something like "why are you emotional?" I never wrote her back. It made me mad that she asked that even though I know she has no idea what its like. I knew I should just explain because she was well-meaning. But its complicated and hard to explain to "normies" and I felt like I was having to defend myself or something. I want to be like "I'm emotional because I just AM, ok?" lol

I hope it helps to know you're not alone. Hang in there.

~Kitteh~   Start 363 / Surgery 346 / Current 204.1 / Goal 150

WCrown
on 2/17/12 9:45 am - NE
 I think a lot of people still view these surgeries as an easy way out.  They don't understand who our bodies go through.  We are basically going in to starvation mode while we watch others around us eat things that we love and know we can't have.  It's a hard adjustment.  I have found that the support groups on other social media sites really help too.  We are all in this together!
mikjul1
on 2/17/12 10:23 am - bel air, MD
cabin111
on 2/17/12 10:53 am
Welcome to the "estrogen dump"!!  We were just talking about this over on the Men's Forum the other day.  In your fat cells is stored a lot of different hormones...Including estrogen.  Guys who have never been emotional in their life all of a sudden come unglued.  They have no idea what is going on.  This will pass as your weight starts to stablize.  But for awhile you are actually going throught male PMS.  It will get better.  It happened to me and it happens to most men who lose the weight quickly.  Brian
WCrown
on 2/17/12 11:19 am - NE
 Great point!  I keep forgetting that even though my doc office tells me that every time I cry and then appologize for feeling like an idiot and acting like a baby.  
(deactivated member)
on 2/17/12 11:30 am
Sorry you are struggling Mik!! If it makes you feel any better, I think its normal...

I told my husband I was afraid I was changing from a happy fat person to a *****y skinny one!!  For me, aside from the hormone dump from losing weight, I haven't developed other coping skills... I don't know how to calm myself down or make myself feel better without food.... I am working on it though... and exercise seems to help me with that!

I hope you stabilize soon!!