Tentative Surgery Date Any suggestions for advance Prep?

Cindi J.
on 2/22/12 9:37 am - Tyler, TX
RNY on 04/09/12
I have my surgery tentatively scheduled for the second week in April.  Of course we are still waiting on an insurance appeal.   However because of this being a medical necessity I am having the surgery even if it is denied by insurance.   I will just self pay.   I am excited since my health issues have  been going on for a year now.  However I am also a little nervous about having this surgery.    

My question is other than starting to make the lifestyle dietary changes and beginning an exercise program and vitamin regimen, is there anything else you would advise me to as far as preparation.  I have also read several books and lots on this website.   I want to be as prepared as possible for this.   My husband and 14 year old daughter are pretty self sufficeient and very supportive so I don't really have to make any special arrangements for them.

Thank you for your help

Cindi

BWB
on 2/22/12 9:52 am
Start going to support group meetings. Your surgeon should have a program established for pre op as well as post op patients. Ask for a liver reduction diet, it isn't required by every bariatric practice but is a good and valuable thing to do. My diet started when I signed up with my surgeon and lasted for 4 months. It really trained me to measure and control my serving sizes. Make sure that your surgeon has a good follow up plan and has a nutritionist on staff. It is very important to get your facts from his/her office. Everyone here is happy to help with any question you have but it isn't as good as asking your professional directly.

Good luck to you. I know how excited you are.

Cindi J.
on 2/22/12 12:31 pm - Tyler, TX
RNY on 04/09/12
 Thanks for your advice.   I have met with the nutritionist at the surgeon's office and will have a couple of more appointments with her before surgery.   She has started me on some diet and I know I will be given a liver reduction diet but it is only 4 weeks.  The books I have read were recommended by the surgeon's office and I am getting set up with the support group.