Help with protein shakes

Graciesmama2006
on 2/22/12 3:22 am - GA
 What is the best way to make the drinks/shakes? Water or milk? What's the healthiest? Also does it change post op? 
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 2/22/12 5:22 am
It's really personal preference.  Some protein drinks are mixed with water like the Nectar drinks **** tea, lemonade), some are made with milk.  You may need to adjust to soy or almond milk if you become lactose intolerant.  But milk will add protein if you use it.  Experiment and find something you like.

Look at the following blogs:

theworldaccordingtoeggface.com
bariatricfoodie.com

they both have lots of protein drink options.

Winnie

Kady
on 2/22/12 6:48 am - Lancaster County, PA
I mix my Click and Jay Robb protein powders with skim Lactaid just to boost up the protein content-they both taste fine made with water though...

For my lemon iced tea nectar, water.

BoomerSooner1
on 2/22/12 7:19 am, edited 2/22/12 7:19 am
 I've been using a fat free, lactose free milk called Moo-Topia (a local Texas brand) to mix with my shakes. 8 oz contains 15 g of protein - and it tastes great. Can't tell any difference from skim. May actually taste better than skim. 

I use a Magic Bullet to mix my shakes. Usually, pour the milk, then add the powder and throw in some ground flax for fiber before topping it off with some crushed ice. Pop it on the bullet and presto -

Yummy!
 Don't ask me how we lost to Baylor.  I can't figure it Out either!            
gabbyabby
on 2/22/12 8:03 am
 I use milk.  It adds protien, healthy fats and good calories to my diet.  I am not lactose intolerant so it works for me.  I personally think they taste better with milk.  

kittehkitteh27
on 2/22/12 9:16 am - Zebulon, NC
RNY on 01/18/12 with
I think it also depends if you are using a pure protein powder or a "meal replacement" shake. Meal replacements have some carbs in them and milk will add to the carbs.. You have to consider what the total carb count will be and decide if you feel like that is too much for one shake.

My NUT suggested that I mix meal replacement powders with water and mix protein powder with milk OR fruit (but not both because of the carbs).

Other than that, I would say it depends on your taste. I use lactose free skim milk with my protein powders.

~Kitteh~   Start 363 / Surgery 346 / Current 204.1 / Goal 150

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 9 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 255 views