Hair Loss and Chemicals

lsa22yrs
on 2/23/12 1:13 am - CA

In the very begining before I even decided to do WLS we were educated on the side effects that occurs after surgery. One being HAIR LOSS, I was advised that it occurs within the 3-6 months after surgery. I was expecting it and anticipating the hair loss, however it never happened. So I thought I was in the clear. Then it hit me 9 months in!!! My healthy thick beuatiful hair has thinned, every so harshly that my edges just has stubbles on it. I stocked up on Biotin and take them religiously and here I am 15 mnths post opt and my hair is still in critical condition. So my question is, I decided I wanted to cut my hair, but with my nationality a perm will definitelty be in order. Does anyone know if it's safe to have a perm with my hair thinning like this? Pleae help, I want to do it TODAY

HW:283, SW:273              
april89love
on 2/23/12 1:56 am - NC
My nutritionist warned me against having a perm while I was losing hair. It can be harsh on your scalp and hair. You should stop losing hair soon if you are getting in all your protein and vitamins. I now have hairs standing on end where it has grown back. I lost hair for about seven months, but I was having trouble getting enough protein.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

lsa22yrs
on 2/23/12 2:07 am - CA
Thank you so much, I was scared of making a Huge mistake

poeticdlt1
on 2/24/12 6:43 am
I am an African-American female, that permed my hair every 6 months. When my hair started coming out, I permed my hair anyway. Big Mistake, my hair was really coming in the sink once I started rinsing the perm out. I now get it set and wear a head band, to hide the new growth.

lsa22yrs
on 2/24/12 9:39 am - CA

Thank you for your feed back, I was hoping to hear from someone on my nationality.... I spoke to the nurses and they advised me to STAY far away from that as well as braiding my hair. My stylist suggested I let him make me a wig... I guess i will do that for now...