Cross post desperate.....

Nycm
on 2/25/12 8:41 am
RNY on 02/21/12 with
 Had slipped band revised to RNY with hiatal hernia repair on Tuesday. I am having a horrible allergic reaction to the dermabond used on my incisions. This must have happened to someone else out there. I am desperate for help. I feel like my belly is going to rip open. It's so red (almost purple) and swollen and the incisions are weeping.  Before discharge I met with dermatology they prescribed a steroid cream for use on the inflamed skin around the incisions. It does nothing. The IV Benadryl helped by putting me to sleep oral Benadryl does nothing. 

I am a horrible mess. I hurt. It all just burns and itches and frightens me. 

Has anyone else gone through this?  What was done for you?

Any help is appreciated. 

Christine

Tonya499
on 2/25/12 8:48 am - Riverton, UT
 I blistered from something they used on one of my incisions.  Steroid cream helped me though.  It itched when it started to heal so I scratched the skin all around it but not touching it.  It only lasted a couple of days.  Good luck!

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
Nycm
on 2/25/12 8:52 am
RNY on 02/21/12 with
 I can't even have my shirt touch the skin it burns. There is no way I could even think about itching. 

Thanks for your well wishes. 

Christine

happy_baker
on 2/25/12 9:14 am
RNY on 02/15/12
 Oh wow. Disregard my initial reply--I had blistery, itchy rashes where my steri-strips were, but it wasn't as severe as what you're describing. 

I'd definitely call your doc. 
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
ChristineB
on 2/25/12 8:54 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
Christine - this warrants a call to your doctor! You need professional help - not advice from a message board.

ChristineB

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Reel
on 2/25/12 9:50 am
I agree 100%!
(deactivated member)
on 2/25/12 9:08 am, edited 2/25/12 9:08 am
 I had an allergic reaction to the steri-strips!! It was awful.. I now have stripes on my stomach going perpendicular to the scars from where the steri strips made giant blisters and the skin ripped off....

---I---I--  That is what my scars look like!!! Call the doc, you need more than OTC benadryl!
(deactivated member)
on 2/25/12 9:12 am
 Christine, you really do need to call the doctors office as soon as possible.  I had some itching with mine, but nothing like that. 

Prayers

happy_baker
on 2/25/12 9:13 am, edited 2/24/12 9:13 pm
RNY on 02/15/12
Yep, I had the same thing. My skin got all red, and one of the incision rashes bubbled up and blistered.

I took the steri-strips off first chance I got, and wiped the rashes down with hydrogen peroxide, gave a good scrub with soap to get all the adhesive residue off, and then kept them treated with hydrocortisone and Neosporin.

It'll go away evetually. Ice packs will help relieve the itching and burning, as will calamine lotion.

_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Lady Lithia
on 2/25/12 9:17 am
I agree with the others CALL YOUR DOCTOR

I had a rash around my incisions and by the time I called the doctor my whole torso was red, by the time I got home, I was hives from knees to scalp (including ear canals, genitals)... my air passage started to close, and if the doctor hadn't acted fast, I might have died.

AFTER you see the doc, and get a course of treatment that would help (for me no antihistamine did the job, neither did any and all itch creams in existence... only oral steroids helped).. I used a big bac**** pack laid over my belly. This soothed the itchiness, and put a layer between me and the itchy skin, so I was more likely to think about it before I considered scratching.

you MUST see your suergeon or PCP or even the ER if it is very bad.

Call your on call physician, DO IT NOW!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket