How much calcium can I take at one time?

Day_dream_believer
on 2/27/12 3:44 am
Currently I am taking 500MG three times a day.  Would it hurt if I took 750 MG twice a day? How long do I have to wait between supplements?   I am having problems getting it in since my Dr. now wants me taking my synthroid twice a day.  I don't have enough hours to fit it all in since I have to wait 4 hours between taking synthroid and calcium /iron. He wanted me to do synthroid 3 times a day.  I told him that was close to impossible.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/27/12 3:46 am - OH
Every doctor I have heard talk about it says no more than 500mg at a time...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

rbb825
on 2/27/12 4:03 pm - Suffern, NY
I have alway been told 650 max, that is why the citrical maximums have 630mg for 2 tablets - I used to take them only until I decided I like the chewables but many people on here take them

Kenny B.
on 2/27/12 4:04 am - Leland, NC
RNY on 01/30/12
Your body will only absorb 500MG at a time. That's why we take it 3 times a day.

Kenny B.
Philippians 4;6-7

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Debbie A.
on 2/27/12 4:05 am - Aurora, OH
I have been taking the Tums Smoothies, that are 750mg each, twice a day, since my surgery and have not had any problems.

seattledeb
on 2/27/12 4:07 am
 Tums are calcium carbonate. You need to take calcium CITRATE. Carbonate is not absorbed well in our pouches.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/27/12 4:08 am, edited 2/27/12 4:08 am - OH
 These are calcium carbonate, which we do NOT absorb well after RNY.  You need to be taking calcium citrate instead.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Debbie A.
on 2/27/12 4:25 am - Aurora, OH
I was told we could take that when we had a pre-surgery class, I go for my six month check up next mont, I will ask again. Thanks!

poet_kelly
on 2/27/12 1:26 pm - OH
You can take it, you just won't actually get any calcium from it.  Regardless of what they told you, you cannot absorb calcium carbonate.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rbb825
on 2/27/12 3:52 pm - Suffern, NY
be careful, not onlydont you absorb it but they cause kidney stones in us which we are at high risk for anyway.  Do youself a favor and get calcium citrate and no more than 650mg at a time

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 378 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 197 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 221 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 124 views
Recent Topics