Just returned from my visit to the ER...allergy, inflamed pancreatic tail and pleural...

Nycm
on 2/26/12 12:21 pm
RNY on 02/21/12 with
 I had posted yesterday about my allergic reaction to the dermabond. I was also having pain in my upper left, but could not identify why it was worsening daily. 

So after getting prompted by many here on this site I called my surgeon and then went to the ER. The end result is actually all good...

They gave me a few doses of benadryl IV. This helped with the abdominal swelling and burning  There is nothing else they can do about the allergy. Just a matter of time. When the dermabond wears off by about 10 days. It will probably get worse before it gets better. 

They did a CT scan to check for leaks or strictures. All was good with surgical stuff. They noted a left pleural effusion (fluid around the lung) likely just post surgical stuff and my pancreas is looking a bit enflamed due to post surgical stuff. My lipase was high on blood work which they explain along with the pancreas swelling. 

So I feel better knowing nothing big is going on. Got more pain meds an the IV Benadryl was wonderful while it was in me. 

Thank you all for your kind words last night.

april89love
on 2/26/12 12:29 pm - NC
Hope things improve quickly for you!

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Jenspunky
on 2/26/12 12:31 pm
RNY on 01/16/12
Glad you are ok!

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

Kat Kat
on 2/26/12 12:33 pm - AZ
It was a good idea to have it all checked out. The peace of mind alone will have been worth the time. I'm sad to hear that they couldn't do anything to help with the allergy though. I had a really bad reaction to steri strips that made me horribly miserable (the scars are slowly fading). Perhaps it will comfort you to know that with all the NSV's I almost forget about it until someone mentions having an allergy.

Hang in there, I'm rooting for you!
Kat

rbb825
on 2/26/12 2:19 pm - Suffern, NY
You need to call your PCP asap. It isn't normal to have fluid around or in your lungs after surgery.  there is something wrong and it also isnt' normal to have an inflammed pancreas and with a high lipase level, that is a sign of pancreatitis which is a complication of any abdominal surgery.  Please don't put this off - pancreatitis can be very serious and needs to be treated immediately.  I am very suprised the ER let you out with the enlarged pancreas and high lipase.

Most Active
Recent Topics