Yesterday was a great day today I want to cry.

teffytmg
on 2/28/12 5:58 am - Canada
RNY on 02/15/12
So Yesterday morning I was 12 days post op and my Dr took my stitches out. I was feeling really good. My tummy was happy the stitches were gone and I handled my mouthful of pureed chicken well at lunch.  Went to bed last night and shared a puding with hubby like we have been doing the past couple of nights and within seconds, I knew something was different.  Went to dry heave foamies for about 10 minutes. Then about 10 minutes later Was shaking cold and the other end went nuts.  I am assuming this is dumping.  Only I'm confused about what caused it.  The pudding is sugar free chocolate pudding which is the same kind I have had every night that I've been allowed.  Now I don't know if it was the sugar, the chocolate or the diary in it that made me sick.  So after all that I was shivering and 5 hours later having some pain in my tummy that felt almost like a hernia pain.  Finally went to sleep and this morning woke up blood (not a lot) and my largest incision (right by my belly button) gaping open.  It had been healed well.  It is 2 inches long and gaping about an inch deep.  Ran back to my dr and he is mad cuz the surgeon Obviously didn't use any subcutaneous stitches and the hole ripped open from the inside up and out.  He can't restitch it at this point with out introducing bacteria so now I have steri strips trying to hold it closed and some guaze over it and we have to wait for it to heal all by itself (weeks)  It hurts like crazy. And now this afternoon, I found out what happens if you eat too big a nibble of pureed food.  It doesn't stay down at all.  Maybe I will just stick to jello for the rest of my life.

Is it Bedtime yet?

Sur wt 225 lbs.1st Goal 190 Lbs,2nd Goal 175 Lbs,3rd Goal 150 lbs. BIG GOAL 125 Lbs at a loss of 100 lbs!!!!!                
Jennifer M.
on 2/28/12 6:05 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
I am so sorry you're going through this. You might want to post your experience to your surgeon's reviews. That's not a good complication! It sounds like your local doctor is treating you well, though!
Nycm
on 2/28/12 6:12 am
RNY on 02/21/12 with
So sorry you are going through this. It really stinks when you think you have things figured out and then something like this happens.

Christine

lanagirl
on 2/28/12 8:25 am

Was the Dr who took out your stiches the surgeon? Are you sure they were supposed to come out? I am almost 6 months out and my surgeon has only taken out a few stiches that worked their way to the surface and were irritating me, the others have either disolved on their own or are still in me. I can't see them but I can feel them but I could never really see them. They were on the inside I guess. Anyway, maybe your weren't supposed to come out.

teffytmg
on 2/28/12 8:30 am - Canada
RNY on 02/15/12
I am only talking about the surface stitches.  This is my point  these are the ones right at skin level.  they were supposed to come out at a week to 10 days and he did that.  No its not the surgeon it is my pcp but he did exactly what HE was supposed to do.  There ARE NO internal stitches.  This is the point of my being upset and my Dr being pissed at the surgeon.  the surgeon did not put in any stitches under the skin.

Sur wt 225 lbs.1st Goal 190 Lbs,2nd Goal 175 Lbs,3rd Goal 150 lbs. BIG GOAL 125 Lbs at a loss of 100 lbs!!!!!                
lanagirl
on 2/28/12 9:02 am
did you call the surgeon with the issue? if so what did he say? Did he put the internal stitches in the rest of your incisions?

teffytmg
on 2/28/12 11:39 am - Canada
RNY on 02/15/12
Nope no internal stitches.  Which is why mine ripped open.  Now I am on semi bed rest til everything else heals as there are no internal stiches on the other 3 incisions either so I am at risk for those ripping open.  He sometimes does put them in but not always and I was a not always case.  Spoke with my pcp and he said its not wrong not to it just can end up like whats happened with me. 

Mia H.
on 2/28/12 10:07 am - OH
 Could be the sugar alcohol in the pudding.  Even though items are sugar free many of them contain high amounts of sugar alcohol which can cause dumping as well.  Also, I can eat something okay one day and then the next time it makes me sick.  My pouch is persnickety.  =o)

teffytmg
on 2/28/12 11:41 am - Canada
RNY on 02/15/12
Yeah, thats what I figured.  Im hoping it wasn't the dairy but I seem to be tolerating my shake today so...  I figure its either the sugar or the chocolate and im ok with either. I AM afraid of pudding now tho. Thank god I have yogart in the house too. 
The whole dry heaving foamie thing is NOT fun.  I can feel my stomach contracting but the pouch doesn't so nada.  Gotta love relearning to eat!

mrdoores
on 2/28/12 1:11 pm - Waldorf, MD
Hi,  did the surgeon give you a binder to wear on  your stomach?   Maybe next time and lets hope there is no next time you get sick, try to hold a pillow on your stomach to cough and anything  that puts a strain on your incissions.  My doctor gave me a binder to wear for six weeks after surgery. just a thought.
Marianna

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 310 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 227 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 0 replies · 19 views