Why aren't you eating?

kardon
on 2/28/12 9:39 am
Let me start by saying that most posts I have read here have been very thoughtful. I enjoy reading the posts, and have found that many encourage me to move forward with my journey.

I am three months out today and have lost 79 pounds to date. I feel good and try my best to follow my surgeon's guidelines in order to stay healthy. My question is, why aren't some of you eating?

I've read several posts where the poster states that they have three sips of soup and are full and cannot eat any more. Is that a meal for someone who is six months out? I can understand feeling that way at two or even three weeks out, but let's get real.

I am concerned that these people will not remain healthy and will have severe medical problems in the future. We cannot eat much at one meal, but not eating or eating a tiny amount is foolish. Does anyone else feel the way I do?

RNYgirl2020
on 2/28/12 9:41 am
Can I ask how much you are able to eat now?
kardon
on 2/28/12 9:52 am
I have seen these posts and am commenting out of concern for these individuals.

poet_kelly
on 2/28/12 9:46 am - OH
I don't think I"ve seen many posts from folks six months out that can only eat three sips of soup.  I guess I missed all those.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kardon
on 2/28/12 9:52 am
I am eating three small meals a day and have two protein drinks between meals. I try to get all of my protein in every day and have been slowly adding different vegetables with my meals.

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/12 10:22 am - waukesha, WI
That is what  I am doing..........I am 4 1/2 months out!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/28/12 11:46 am - OH
 Like Kelly, I have not seen any posts from someone 6 months out and only having a few sips of soup.  I have, however, seen posts from people 6 months out who are trying to limit their food intake way too much (usually with the idea that keeping the calories down for as long as possible will increase their weightloss during the "honeymoon period").  

Usually, however, someone will point out to such people that they are probably actually stunting their weight loss by doing so -- and may be creating problems for themselves permanently-- because when they do not eat enough, their body may be dropping their metabolism in response to "starvation"... and for some people (even those who eat enough) may experience a permanent lowering of their metabolism after RNY because of the many months of decreased caloric intake right after surgery.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

way2kay
on 2/29/12 1:57 am - Crosby, TX
 i'm 3 months out, & i'm one of those people who aren't eating...i'm trying, but lately i really haven't had an appetite (especially since i started going to the gym)...i have become so much more active that i "forget" to eat...what that means is that if i am on the road, there isn't much in the line of healthy food to choose from when all ur surrounded by is fast food...i do try to keep protein bars with me, & eat those in the car when i think about it...i'm not doing this on purpose, & i realize that eventually my weight loss will probably stall because i'm not eating enough...i'm trying to make a concerted effort to eat, like setting alarms on my phone every 4 hours as a reminder...just thought u might wanna hear the reasonings of someone who is having a problem w/ eating is all..
Kay

Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another "What! You too?  I thought I was the only one!!"           - C.S. Lewis    
Hillery82211
on 2/29/12 2:19 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I haven't seen too many posts like that here...but I HAVE seen this from a few people in the support group I attend and in other places that lots of post WLS people hang out on the web.  A lot of it appears to fear driven.

Fear of failure
Fear of not losing enough
Fear of gaining weight back
Fear of food itself

I try not to judge, because I don't want someone to look at how much/little I am eating and make judgments about me.  Also, quantity is completely subjective unless a quantitative amount is assigned to how big a "sip" is.  Is a sip 1oz?  Is it a thick chunky soup that will sit in the pouch or is it broth?  Unless the person gives that supporting information, you're basically making assumptions and you know the saying about that......
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
kardon
on 2/29/12 4:25 am
I am not making assumptions. I explicity stated that I am concerned that folks may get very ill...that is much different from criticism. I'm new, and this is my last post. Thank you all for understanding and letting me know the saying about that.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 343 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 164 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 265 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?