High Copper Levels

Ramie A.
on 2/29/12 5:54 am - Bronx, New York, NY
I'm six months post op from surgery and have had my routine 3-month and 6-month labs.  They are generally fine but in both sets my copper readings were through the roof. 

Normal range is 70 to 175 and mine was 246 in Nov and now 364 a couple weeks ago.

This time my PCP has said I should see a GI doctor to get a liver biopsy to find out what's wrong.

I'm not sure my levels have anything to do with my surgery, but I know I would never have known I had high levels if I hadn't had all of the tests done that Poet Kelly usually recommends.

Has anybody else had experience with high copper levels? 
Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

poet_kelly
on 2/29/12 6:26 am - OH
Mine was slightly high one time I had labs done but not high enough that my PCP thought we needed to do anything but keep an eye on it.  The next time (and every time since) I had labs done, it was normal.

I'm glad you caught it and hope it's nothing serious.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Zeigled
on 2/29/12 9:55 am - Parkton, MD
Not sure if this would apply but some companies install copper/silver ionization systems to reduce bacteria in the water.  If you work some place that has one - is it working properly - maybe it is putting too much copper in the water.  Out there possibility but I thought I mention it.
HW 357 SW 341   

Ramie A.
on 2/29/12 10:02 am - Bronx, New York, NY

Thank you for the suggestion.  I live in New York City, which has the best municipal water in the world, and I just drink the water from the tap at work and at home.  But it's interesting you point it out because my mother tells me that when I was 3 years old I was diagnosed with "copper poisoning" and was told by the doctors it was caused by the copper pipes.  We drank bottled water for years after that but to my knowledge I never had my blood tested for copper ever again, until recently. 

It's all very strange! 

rbb825
on 2/29/12 12:34 pm - Suffern, NY
I would definitely get to a GI doctor and get a liver biopsy.  You also need a blood test for cerulospasmin which is something related to copper and helps them in the diagnosis with copper problems.  You also need a zinc level because somehow zinc and copper are related.

It is intering that you had high levels as a child and I wonder if they ever went down.  there is a condition called Wilsons disease that is from high copper levels and is possibly your problem.  For this, you also need to get your eyes checked because with Wilson;s, you get copper rings around your eyes.

Did your mom have the problem with copper poisening when you were a child?  Wilsons is  a genetic disease.

Please dont' take this lightly and get tested immediately - make the appointment with the gastro doctor ASAP

GloriV
on 6/25/13 4:23 am - Lexington Park, MD

Hello! I see this post was quite a while ago and I stumbled on it while doing a google search. I'm 9 years post op and have had copper levels quite high as well. We are still in the stages of exploring why, just had some blood tests done to see if the liver is involved and waiting to hear. What ever happened with your situation? Any information would be so great, I'm a little freaked out by all this! Glori

RNY December 2004  270 --> 130

Ramie A.
on 6/25/13 12:42 pm - Bronx, New York, NY

Hi!  It has been a long time since I've been on the site.  I'm almost 2 years out and weigh about 150.  I should be 130-140 but oh well!  At least I'm healthier and not struggling with keeping my weight stable.

Anyway, I went to the GI doc and he tested the ceruloplasm (as the poster above suggested he do).  The doc explained that that's a good thing.  He said that the regular copper test doesn't distinguish between "free" copper and "bound" copper.  Bound copper is bound to the ceruloplasm and is harmless while the free copper is the one that runs around doing damage.  Apparently I've been eating a lot of copper (multivit, protein bar, protein shake) and my body has compensated by making more of the ceruloplasm and binding it up.  Doc also said that the copper rings in the eyes can be easily seen without any special instruments.  Finally, he also said that there was no way a 45 year old woman could be walking around with Wilson's disease -- the disease is too severe and the free copper does terrible damage, not only to the eyes but also to the brain, and most undiagnosed cases have neurological damage.  So, even though my copper levels are high, everything is good.  

Good luck to you!