New Doctor protocol is this normal I am shocked

RainDiva
on 2/28/12 5:15 am
OK so i moved to georgia from pennsylvania. I had a wonderful surgereon in pa and would like to find an office post op to keep up with my blood work and make sure I get back on the straight and narrow. The few places I called as a new patient. They advised me that the doctors will have a meeting to see if they will take my case (all new patients not just me) and that the new patient fee is 200 dollars up front that my insurance will not cover. What the heck is this all about. I assumed that the new surgeon would just charge me my co pays and bill insurance for follow up care. Now I have to content with them reviewing my case from my surgeon and then getting back to me to let me know if they will take me as a follow up patient and not only that. that I will have a 200 fee upfront??? Anyone else hear about this and what if they don't accept me for whatever reason. Where would I go for blood work and follow up care. I would think a regular doctor wouldnt understand the issues and blood work results that would be for my case.

Martha P.
on 2/28/12 5:18 am - Timberlake, NC
My only suggestion would be to have your old doctor refer you to someone and that might elimate all the hassle.

Martha P.

RainDiva
on 2/28/12 5:36 am
he did refer me prior to me moving here, but I cant find the doctor anywhere. name doesnt come up and insurance doesnt cover a doctor by that name. If I can't find one that will take me with just copay then I will have to call home to see what surgeon office says

poet_kelly
on 2/28/12 5:21 am - OH
I've never heard of a "new patient" fee before.  What does that fee cover?

When I changed surgeons I had to pay the "program fee" at the new surgeon's office, which covers meetings with the dietician, support groups, etc.  I had to pay that at my first surgeon's office, too.

If they don't want to accept you as a patient for whatever reason, I guess you'd need to call someone else.  I would think you could find someone to do your follow it, it may just take some effort to find them.  Many people do follow up with their PCP instead of a surgeon, although you may need to let the PCP know when you need labs done and what labs you need and stuff like that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

justthe3ofus
on 2/28/12 5:24 am - Northwest, IN
 I have never heard anything like this. Is it because the big money making is done and they won't be preforming surgery? I would definitely be a little sceptical of the situation. I am aware that many bariatric doctors do not want to take on another surgeons "problems." However, they will still be billing your insurance for their time with you as a patient and will be getting paid. Is this new surgeon from a center of excellence? You could check with the hospital and also your insurance to see if additional billing is allowed by their contract. Have you checked reviews for the surgeons office you are looking into? 

Have you found a PCP yet? Is it possible that your surgeon from PA could give you a list of lab work and normal levels for someone who has had RNY? That way your new PCP would be aware of what tests to run when and at what levels to be concerned. 

Good luck!

Kim B.

HW 295/ SW 281/ CW 209.6/ GW 155
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. - Eleanor Roosevelt

RainDiva
on 2/28/12 5:33 am
I just called another one and they said they dont charge an upfront fee unless you are a complicated case and in some cases the doctors will not accept you at all. I am a little upset by this. but i think if i am rejected (which they said as long as I am an open shut case it should be a problem) which I was an easy op. but who knows in the future what if I get low blood sugar or develop some defi from lack of vitamins etc etc. Its very frustrating because I dont have the 200 dollars upfront. the lady was really nasty with me and said well new patients that havent had operation yet is 400 for our program really???? and that is with insurance. I know my surgeon up home didnt take a start up fee just co pays but maybe because he was doing my operation.

FleurDeLis
on 2/28/12 5:37 am
I had a program fee to pay to my first surgeon. When I switched surgeons it was to a progam without a program fee. But the charges are so much more at the second program it no doubt covers the support groups etc.

Psychologists as a whole are beginning to refuse to take insurance and want to get paid up front. They are being advised to do it this way, or even refuse to take Medicare patients under any cir****tances.

This is the way health care is going.
RainDiva
on 2/28/12 5:55 am
I am shocked! its like why have insurance at all. I pay almost 350 a month now for my insurance. What the heck

cegirl6
on 2/28/12 6:05 am - Westminster, CA
RNY on 03/12/12 with
My friend who had the DS had to pay a 3000 dollar program fee..and my other friend who was having lap band had to pay 1800...these were not covered by insurance..cash up front..I'm lucky I didnt have to pay it because i couldnt afford that..in fact I shied away from wls because I thought all surgeons were like that, glad theyre not

NowIliveforaerobicsandnotfood
on 2/28/12 7:35 am, edited 2/28/12 7:45 am
I tried to switch to a new surgeon after surgery (I liked the surgeon but not his nursing staff) and was asked by the new receptionist if I had any complications and I answered no, then the receptionist told me that this particular doctor probably would not see me because they get nervous about taking on a patient that has already had RNY with another physician even though I have not had any complications.  Consequently, I get all of my blood work and check-ups through my PCP because I refuse to go back to my surgeon's nursing staff and if I run into problems my PCP knows my surgeon so he would just consult with him.  Luckily, my PCP also studied nutrition and has a degree so he is knowledgeable enough to instruct me if should run into problems.  The new physician I wanted was suppose to call me back but never did.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 233 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics